1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice Needed - Arcam/B&W/HDMI

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Webthunder, Sep 19, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Webthunder

Webthunder
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Just registered on the site and hope someone out there can give me some advice, here goes!
    Looking currently at getting
    Arcam AVR300
    Arcam DV79
    B&W MT-30 ( in a 6-1 setup )
    Panasonic 32" LCD -TX-32LXD500

Question is
    With new consoles, SkyHD & DVD player offering HDMI connections, this setup only offers 1. Are there any other recommendations, are the Geffen boxes going to do the trick, am I worrying too much about HDMI connection?

Erm, think thats it. All comments etc welcomed about my question or choice of kit. Ready to shell out anyday now, just wanted to ask those in the know

Cheers :thumbsup:

2. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Hiya :hiya: and welcome to the site :)

There is an Arcam specific part of the forum HERE

I have also just gone down the Arcam AVR300 + DV79 route. Its an amazing setup when you have played around with it a bit. Oh and DO READ the instructions :D

3. Webthunder

Webthunder
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oops, didn't look hard enough and see the Arcam section. :oops:

Any more from anyone out there re. the HDMI. They did say I could go for a yamaha with switching, but I felt unsure

4. wannabeav

wannabeav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Multi HDMI switching amps are pricey, they will come down in price but until you get 3 /4 inputs I cant see them being much use. The Marantz 8500 has a couple and sound comes close to the Arcam. The 300 is fantastic and the best I heard at this price point, the component switching is also very good on the Arcam. Only question would be with HD-DVD / Blu Ray just around the corner do you want to spend £1K on a DVD player that will be out gunned fairly quickly? i dont doubt that the 79 is a cracking player but for me seemed a lot for something that I would be replacing within a year or 2 so went for an ex demo 89. It might be worth discusing the options a bit more and listening / viewing a few with whoever 'they' are to see a comparison. Whatever happens happy listening! :)