Question Advice Needed - Amp (int or not?) for Rega Planar 6 w/ Ania

D

Deleted member 869664

I’m here seeking advice and knowledge - all greatly welcomed! I’m set on buying the Rega Planar 6 with Ania MC and Bowers & Wilkins 606 speakers.

I believe that I would benefit from the Rega MC phono for the Ania?

I want to identify a choice of decent amplifiers. I also like to stream digitally via Spotify, I have many FLAC albums and I would like the option to stream from my iPhone and MacBook Pro. I’m not particularly interested in Bluetooth. I also like to listen to music on headphones.

Ideally, can I find an amplifier that will meet these needs and can all work together?

I like the Denon PMA 1600NE.

What I don’t want to do is find myself in a situation where I’m having to buy so many individual pieces of kit (I.e a DAC, a headphone amp and so on) however, I’d prefer to invest in good quality pieces of kit as the only upgrade I can see myself making in the future is to better speakers when I’m living in a bigger house.

My budget for an amplifier that’ll meet headphone / DAC needs and will work well with the above kit is about £1300.

Thanks in advance for suggestions!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 869664

I really like the Denon PMA2500NE and I could possibly push for that.
Would I still need a Rega MC phono? I was told that the Denon isn't as good as British made brands and that the Denon may lead to humming noise due to the gain with an MC cartridge?

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
If you buy the Ania MC cartridge, you will need a matching phono stage. Although integrated amplifiers with MC phono stages are not common, your preferred Denon PMA 1600NE is one of them, and is compatible.

You would not need the Rega phono amp, and given your limited budget for a lot of functionality, would suggest that, at least initially, you not spend a significant portion of your £1300 on it. The Denon should not hum any more than any other comparably priced amplifier.

Comments of the "not as good as British made brands" sort can safely be put down to "home bias" - the assumption that your local manufacturers are the world's greatest, irrespective of where you live.

BT Bob

Distinguished Member
I have a P6/Ania and it's a great combination.
My amp is a Cambridge Audio CXA61 - it has 4 analogue inputs as well as optical, USB and bluetooth, and a headphone out.I have different speakers to you (Ophidian Mojo), but the sound kicks out it
s fantastic to my ears.
I have ripped music stored on a LaCie HDD that's connected to a MacMini and then USB into the CXA. I just use Apple Music (iTunes-as-was) too organise the music (all replied to ALAC) and then play it out of the USB using BitPerfect. I control this via the Apple Remote app on my iPhone or iPad.
I can also tram directly from either iPhone or iPad to the amp via Bluetooth.
The CXA doesn't have a phono input, so I'm now using a Cambridge Audio Alva Duo (replaced the Schiit Mani I had before). To my ears, it provides a fine match to both the Ania and CXA - the noise-floor is ridiculously low. If it has a flaw, it's that there are no adjustments for load or gain, but it's MC load is 100ohm, so matches the Ania (unlike the Mani, which was 47ohms). ]The Alva also has MM input (which I haven't used) and a headphone amp (which I have and prefer to the one on the CXA for vinyl - it seems cleaner to my ears).

If you want more output, the CXA81 has more power.

These would all be under your budget.

I'm really pleased with my set up now - such that I just listen to the music, not the "sound" of the music.

D

Deleted member 869664

Thank you for both your input.

I'll look into the CXA81 and the Alva Duo. If anyone has any further thoughts I would welcome them, in particular opinions on whether to go with the CXA81/Alva Duo or the Denon PMA 1600NE.

gibbsy

I really like the Denon PMA2500NE and I could possibly push for that.
Would I still need a Rega MC phono? I was told that the Denon isn't as good as British made brands and that the Denon may lead to humming noise due to the gain with an MC cartridge?
I strongly suggest that you listen to the Denon 1600 alongside a good British amp. The strength of the Denon is in it's AL32 processor and DAC which is very good indeed. If you don't need that ability then audition against a pure British analogue amp such as the Rega Elex-R.

I have a Denon DCD 2500 SACD player, same processor and DAC hooked up to a Rega amp and I must say is sound fantastic. Without doubt the best SACD player I've ever owned and I've had a few.

D

Deleted member 869664

Thanks for everyones input. I actually auditioned the Rega Elex-R and Naim Nait 5si. I preferred the Naim, it sounded warmer and more emotional to me. Of course it is lacking a DAC but an option is the Beetle until I can afford a dedicated streamer or DAC.

I am now also considering the Roksan Kandy K3 Intergrated amp, the Cyrus ONE HD Integrated amp against the Naim. Any insights or experiences with all amps are welcome.

Then it'll be considering cables - a whole new world to me. Are QED Performance headphone extension cables decent?

gibbsy

Are QED Performance headphone extension cables decent?
Yes. The connectors are robust and well made. I have a 3m extension and it takes a hammering. Use it quite regularly with my Oppo PM1s and Shure 1540s.

D

Deleted member 869664

Brilliant. I've just bought a QED 5m extension cable. Will the long length affect sound quality?

The Oppo PM1s look beautiful!

gibbsy

It hasn't with my Oppos. Six meters just reaches the table where I sit when on the Forum on the odd occasion.

acgingersnaps

Thanks for everyones input. I actually auditioned the Rega Elex-R and Naim Nait 5si. I preferred the Naim, it sounded warmer and more emotional to me. Of course it is lacking a DAC but an option is the Beetle until I can afford a dedicated streamer or DAC.

I am now also considering the Roksan Kandy K3 Intergrated amp, the Cyrus ONE HD Integrated amp against the Naim. Any insights or experiences with all amps are welcome.

Then it'll be considering cables - a whole new world to me. Are QED Performance headphone extension cables decent?
I currently run an elex r, having had a cyrus one. In my experience/opinion the power and phono sections in the elex are head and shoulders above the cyrus. I would suggest that if the elex Didn't float your boat for the reasons noted above, then the cyrus probably won't either. Cheaper though, so probably an unfair comparison.

D

Deleted member 869664

Thanks everyone. I decided to order the following:-

Rega Planar 6 with Ania.
Rega MC Phono Stage.
Naim Nait 5si.
Bluesound Node 2i.
Bowers & Wilkins 606's.
Chord cables.

I'm very happy with my choices and I can't wait to play my records.

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
An Ania deserves a good phono stage, Rega Fono MC is a good minimum and is meant to gel well with it. I’ve heard people with an Ania into far more expensive phono stages not like it as much as the Rega Fono MC.