Question advice needed - aerial set up/poor signal

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Seethevision, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Seethevision

Seethevision
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    I live in a rented apartment (block of 8 flats) and need help with poor freeview signal in the living room.

I have recently bought an LG49UJ670v TV for the living room and the auto tune will not pick up the bbc or HD channels. This happens both in the living room and bedroom. I have ran a signal test on the tv and have attached a photo of the results. I cannot find a guide to manually tune this TV, the lg guide is very poor.

My TV in the bedroom (an older LG TV) will auto tune perfectly in both rooms.
    Prior to buying the latest LG I had a Samsung TV that would not auto tune at all in either room but would at my parents address.

I also struggle to understand the aerial set up in the flat.

In the bedroom cupboard there is an F140 4 way distribution amplifier and what I guess is a TV distribution system inside the silver box. Photo attached. The amplifier is not connected to anything.

The living room has 1 coax tv socket which does not seem to work at all.
    On the same wall closer to the floor is a wall plate with two sky sockets.
    I am using an adapter to plug the coax cable into the sky socket (living room only). Photo attached.

The bedroom has 1 coax socket that works perfectly.

Should I be using the f140 amplifier and if so how do I connect it up? I don't have a clue what I'm doing and don't want to mess around with wiring unnecessarily.

Any advice with this issue is greatly appreciated. Apologies for the long winded first post,
    as you can tell electronics is not my strong point

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

2. dts

dts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,000
    Does your TV have freesat? I would connect to the satellite and tune it that way.

3. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,547
    Which transmitter is the aerial likely to be pointing at? Knowing what you're supposed to be receiving will help troubleshoot.

It looks like they were doing some work on the transmitters in your area recently so if you only tried tuning it over one afternoon it's worth giving it another go.

4. Seethevision

Seethevision
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies chaps

dts - It does have freesat and have just tried auto tuning to it but it won't find any programmes at all.

Endless waves - heathfield is the main transmitter, crystal palace being the other. Yesterday they did work on the transmitter and tonight I arrived home to find (without retuning) the tv now recieves a much better signal and can now watch bbc1 and bbc2 but all the HD channels (101 to 200) are still missing. I have tried as freeview suggest and auto tuning with the aerial unplugged and then auto tuning again with it plugged in but no luck.

Somebody is kindly letting me have their old sky box and I will attempt to access the HD channels missing through this and will also call free view for advice.

Would still be interested in any advice concerning the tv distribution box that is installed here if anyone can help. The Letting agent tells me there is a communal satellite dish on the building but can't advise any further than that and am reluctant to spend money on a visit from a tv engineer if it can be helped