Advice needed - a compact system for streaming/PC

hellouThere

Novice Member
Hi there,

I move quite a lot so I've always had small all-in-one systems and looking to keep it that way for the next years. All my music is on PC HD and Tidal.

My current setup:
NuPrime IDA-8 + KEF LS50 + PC source

I'm looking to upgrade the amp to something more powerful and then swap the speakers to Magnepans LRS or 0.7.

Now I'm after itnegrated amp (ideally with dac+streamer) or integrated amp and dac+streamer seperate. The budget is $4-5k (excl speakers).

The options I'm considering right now:

1. Nad M33
pros: light, all-in-one, BluOS, high power to drive magies, DIRAC (!)
cons: SQ is apparently 8.5/10, Sabre ES9028 DAC chipset has a mixed reviews

2. Marantz Model 30 + Bluesound Node 2021
pros: I really like marantz sound (had one in the past), A/B amp which has great reviews (didn't hear this one), lots of power, BluOS
cons: 2 pieces, Bluesound has mediocre DAC which might bring the whole system down

3. Marantz Model 40n (coming out right now)
pros: it could be as good (?) as model 30 but with streaming and DAC, all-in-one
cons: less power than model 30: 70W (9ohm)/100W (4ohm) - is that enough to drive Maggies?, ESS ES9016 DAC could be mediocre, HEOS < BluOS

I'd like to optimise for SQ and weight. Any other suggestions? Ideally one-two pieces.

Advice highly appreciated :)

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
I think you have to keep the Bluesound Node 2021 or maybe look towards something by Lyngdorf if you want an all in one package. If you choose the Bluesound Node, then you have a few stereo amplifiers to choose from to drive either of those two speakers you have selected

hellouThere

Novice Member
I think you have to keep the Bluesound Node 2021 or maybe look towards something by Lyngdorf if you want an all in one package. If you choose the Bluesound Node, then you have a few stereo amplifiers to choose from to drive either of those two speakers you have selected

Thanks, I don't think the Lyngdorf has enough power to drive Maggies in the future though.

How would Bluesound + Marantz 30 fare? I'm worried that Bluesound's DAC might be dragging the system down.

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Lyngdorfs have high output with even the baby unit driving 30amps which I suspect will be enough even though it may only have 60w per channel (120w at 4 ohms as the .7 are). If you move up the range, this jumps to 40amps with upto 200w of power per channel meaning it should be able to drive almost all mainstream speakers

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
As for the Marantz and Bluesound, I think this should be a good paring and if you're worried about one of the other dragging the system down, then you may find the room will do more harm than the electronics which is where spending the money on something like the 3400i could be the best pennies you've spent. Although I'm unable to find the ampage on the Marantz, wattage wise, its on a par and with 40 amps on tap, even if those speakers really call for some power, it shouldn't cause it any issues than the Marantz. The other side is the 3400 also has a USB input meaning if its internal streaming solutions become obsolete or not living up to your expectations, you can move to a PC/Media type solution which if done correctly should be more than you'll ever need

hellouThere

Novice Member
Many thanks for your replies. Herb Reichert tested Marantz 30 with Maggies and it's a divine combo he claims.

What's the edge of 3400i over NAD M33? They overlap a lot in features, have room correction systems etc.

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
The room correction system is where the Lyngdorf scores top marks compared to all others on the market. I will add that it's not for everyone, but almost all are really surprised at what it offers compared to traditional hi-fi

If you use the USB driver, the ASIO driver also sounds much better than the WASAPI which windows will default it to. I've tried the 3400 at home and can recommend it for its musical ability this way as I've been using a PC based solution for years and the Lyngdorf produced the same musical sound stage taking my DAC and AVR musically and although you may pull your noise at me saying AVR, My system musical ability is very good (even if I do say so myself) with me not hearing a musical reproduction like it under £15k

As for the NAD, I haven't had the chance to hear it although when you read these forums about the Lyngdorf, not many mention it which should say all that is needed

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom