1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice Needed: 28" Tevion

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by PabloE, Sep 3, 2005.

1. PabloE

PabloE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I've Googled to find this forum and it looks like the place where I may find the advice I need.

My Tevion 28" TV bought about 18 months ago from Aldi has started to malfunction.

The image appears with a strong green cast to it, almost psychodelic. I'm guessing that one of the colour tubes has gone.

Am I right and, if so, does anyone have any idea of how much it would cost to repair?

The set only cost £170 new - I need to know if its worth repairing!

Any advice appreciated.

cheers

PabloE

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,764
    Is the symptom true of all sources, including the internal tuner? I only ask as if it's confined to one external source (eg your DVD) then it could be as simple as a bad cable connection.

3. PabloE

PabloE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It seems to be prety universal - whether I use my digibox, DVD or the terrestial arial, so I don't think its a connection problem.

4. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Buy a decent brand TV like Panasonic. They make very good 50hz sets.

5. PabloE

PabloE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How exceedingly witty.

I'm afraid that I can't afford a so-called 'decent' brand - otherwise why would I have bought the Tevion in the first place?

I do wonder why you bothered to post a reply, Dfour. Hopefully some other forum member might be able to let me know whether this TV is worth repairing or not.

sincerely

Pablo E

6. Slimchandi

Slimchandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I think as one of the more valued members of the community Dfour has a point seeing as you said it "only" cost £170. At that cost repair would probably be almost half the cost of the telly itself.

In the case that you decide not to repair (likely based on your prognosis) then he's giving you a suggestion as where to go next, and how to avoid the same thing happening again.

I'm sure many people, myself included, have been stung by "Buy cheap, buy twice".

7. PabloE

PabloE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Slimchandi - I think you may be right about the cost of the repair, in which case I won't bother. There's always the chance that the problem could recurr, anyway.

Much obliged.

cheers

PabloE

8. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Im sorry I didnt make myself very clear and didnt really answer your query. I have to agree with Slimchandi about repair costs though. Its unfortunate that everything is becoming disposable because its not economically viable to repair anything anymore:(

I think if you look arround you will find the 'decent' brands are not head and shoulders in price above the cost of your cheap TV. Also look on this forum and you will find a few people trying to sell there old TV's as they have upgraded and need the room.

9. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

If you have had your TV less than 2 years it would be worth triing to get the retailer to swap it for you, not sure how long Tevion brand TV's have been around.
    Do a search for "sale of goods act"
    OR take it to a TV repair shop and tell them to repair it if it costs less than £60

Nigel