1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice neede on CRT and Pana LCD

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by drdm12345, Nov 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drdm12345

drdm12345

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear friends. I am in between two projectors fro my home theatre. The first one is the well documented Panasonic PT100. My room is 3.9 meters length and 3.8 meters wide with 2.10 height (it is very low due to it being a cellar originally) This will be a dedicated homecinema room) My other choice is an Italian make CRT projector. Their site is www.maxivideotech.it they have English lingo too) and I am after the Eclipse model. These projectors have a very familiar look (I believe them to be the same as the Ellie projectors only cheaper!!! with their Italian names) Can anyone pls deirect me as to which should I go for? I understand that one cost £1219 and the other £2200 (circa depending on Euro) Do you think that the price difference is justified? Also will the picture quality be better using the CRT? I was planning to connect both via component to a decent DVD player (probably the Toshiba 520 that does progressive as well) Your help is much appreciated. Thanks Dimitris

2. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Dimitris,
    £2200 is VERY cheap for a new CRT, the picture quality will be a LOT better than the PT100! Not sure if the Ecllipse has Component input though, only mentions S-Video, RGB and BNC in the specs, might be worth checking it out first.

At that price I imagine it might be well worth someone importing one into the UK (no duty and local vat paid in the purchase price!). Makes you wonder way folks bother with LCD projectors if a new CRT costs only a little more!
    Paul

Edit - had a look at the manual, the Eclipse is a pretty basic pj - you could easily pick up a 2nd hand one that would be a lot better for the same price.

3. drdm12345

drdm12345

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is what I thought too. This Italian company seems reliable enough and even if component is not an option I can always use the S-Video which will not be that bad. Thanks for the advice. Dimitris

4. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    I'm not sure if the Ecllipse can use an external scaler which you will really need if you are projecting onto a large screen otherwise you will see the scanlines - ask them if it will accept a line doubler or greater (through the TTL socket?). If it doesn't, I'd be inclined to give it a miss and pick up a 2nd hand unit. Still can't believe the price though, very competitive even if it is basic.
    Paul

5. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    It's worth looking at what Roland @ B4 has for sale in the £2k range. He should have something much better and support from him is great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.