Advice! Music Amplifier and Speaker bundle around £1000

81noodles

Ex Member
Reaction score
Hi all, apologies if this is a vague/ basic question but got to start somewhere I guess!

I'm basically refurbishing my office room and intend to use either a full HD or UHD short throw projector. The display will be used as both a monitor for work and for displaying films/ TV.

The sources will be my PC and sky in some format.

What I need a little assistance with is the sound! I plan to have surround sound with either a 5 or 7 speaker set up. I will be sat not more than 3 metres away from the screen/ front speakers. I love my music also so need a home cinema amplifier and speakers that can deliver close quarter fantastic sound at lower levels and have the versatility to manage switching between surround sound and "normal" music playing.

I will also be connecting up my record player, CD Player etc.

My budget is up to £1000.

Any help would be great!

Is that budget for a receiver and seven speakers? Receivers generally are poor for music. You would need one with a phono input and line in analogue input, not usually found in entry level models. A plan of your room with dimensions would help members help you.

Many thanks, think I will probably go for 5 speakers in all honesty. 7 seems like overkill for such a small space. Attached is a complex professional drawing of my layout!

Max of five certainly. Now nail down the budget, it can be done for £1000. Look at the bundled offers from Richer Sounds or Peter Tyson.

If it helps further, im thinking the music quality set up has to take priority. The surround sound would be a nice feature to have but in all honesty wouldn't be the priority as I have a nice Marantz/ kef set up in the main lounge. In fact, I'd much rather put the budget into a solely music orientated set up. Sorry for confusing

I always had in mind to have a surround sound system in the office but realistically it wouldnt get used enough to warrant it. I watch movies of an evening downstairs and have a perfectly good Marantz SR7001 and KEF T305 set up. If I started watching them in the office room id need headphones anyway as have a 4 year old!

My god, just took your advice and looked at the Peter Tyson bundle deals for amp and a pair of speakers. Was greeted with a pic of the KEF LS50s and Denon DRA-100. Havnt even read the spec but they look fantastic!

Why not just a good stereo set up with quality speakers, LS50s perhaps. You would need a stereo amp with a DAC or one built in to connect to a player or TV. Certainly far better for music than a receiver. The LS50s, like most of KEF speakers respond well to a good power supply as they can dip to 3.2 ohms.

Here's a bargain:

Apologies as have changed requirements on advice half way through the post. I tried deleting but it seems the previous posts have stuck. I've been the person I hate on these kinds of forums!!!

To simplify, after an amplifier speaker package for my office with max budget around £1000. Sound quality is the priority. Will be attaching a Pro-audio turntable to it as well as my PC. It would be great if it had Alexa functionality but not essential. I have a 5 year old Denon CD player as well but wouldnt write off those units with an integrated CD player providing the quality is good. Do you guys see any stand out deals or have any recommendations at all?

Apologies as have changed requirements on advice half way through the post. I tried deleting but it seems the previous posts have stuck. I've been the person I hate on these kinds of forums!!!

To simplify, after an amplifier speaker package for my office with max budget around £1000. Sound quality is the priority. Will be attaching a Pro-audio turntable to it as well as my PC. It would be great if it had Alexa functionality but not essential. I have a 5 year old Denon CD player as well but wouldnt write off those units with an integrated CD player providing the quality is good. Do you guys see any stand out deals or have any recommendations at all?
I'm moving this to Stereo Seperates for you.

A set of active monitors like the focal alpha 65's paired with a preamp like a wxc-50 will be difficult to beat sq wise within that budget imo.

the preamp has a lot of digital inputs for pc etc and also an analogue input for your TT. its a great streamer and also a great dac, plus its preamp section would manage the active monitors volume

Thanks very much. Will definitely look into it. I really love the look of the KEF LS50 in white with the blue cones. Peter Tyson do a deal combo with a Denon DRA-100 which looks smart but question whether the Denon is all style and little substance in comparison to other units. It’s quite a way over my initial price point also but guess could be swayed for an outstanding package/ combo!

Thanks very much. Will definitely look into it. I really love the look of the KEF LS50 in white with the blue cones. Peter Tyson do a deal combo with a Denon DRA-100 which looks smart but question whether the Denon is all style and little substance in comparison to other units. It’s quite a way over my initial price point also but guess could be swayed for an outstanding package/ combo!

You stated that sq is a priority. Within your budget, your not going to get the potential out of the ls50’s. they are very inefficient and need ample power to drive them properly. The denon is imo a poor match for them and surprised PT is bundling them with that amp.

if you was going to get the ls50’s, I’d look at the same preamp wxc 50 and pair it with an emotiva basX a300 amplifier. The amps will set you back circa £750 and the speakers a further £750. They do come up often in the classifieds and eBay for around £500 mark. A lot of people sell the ls50’s for this reason. They don’t power them properly and people are disappointed with the sound.

Really? This was the reservation I had over the combo. Although it would be fantastic to have the aesthetics, SQ has to be the priority. For £1000-£1500 I don't really want to be restricted and/ or disappointed. I was hoping id made things easier by not wanting surround sound and reducing speakers but still not straightforward with so many units to consider!

For £1500, the LS50, wxc-50 and emotiva bassX-a300 is a great combo.

The emotiva basX a300 has ample power and a high damping factor of over 500. this helps a lot with the huge impedance swings the ls50's are renowned for.

Many thanks. Where would you control the eq with such a combination - sorry I’m old school!

Also, if discounting the kefs and you had that budget for that room what would you come up with? Thanks again

A lot of modern amplifiers do not have Tone controls and eq’s

AnyThing under £1500 I’d likely go active. A pair of focal active monitors and a nice preamp like the oppo sonica (discontinued but can be found on open market)

alternatively, a pair of kef lsx with a bk electronics xls200 subwoofer

Thanks, so you're essentially stuck with the sound quality. That is odd as from experience, sources can vary quite dramatically in their levels. More research needed it seems!

Thanks, so you're essentially stuck with the sound quality. That is odd as from experience, sources can vary quite dramatically in their levels. More research needed it seems!
there are still many amps that offer tone controls but something like the kef lsx’s use dsp and the eq is done electronically

something like the Yamaha as801 would be more suitable for analogue controls

Ok, many thanks. Will look into it. I generally prefer things a little more bass orientated (I play the bass!) so that may be an issue. Thanks for all your info though. Excellent stuff

Ok, many thanks. Will look into it. I generally prefer things a little more bass orientated (I play the bass!) so that may be an issue. Thanks for all your info though. Excellent stuff

the lsx and bk xls200 sub
would give you better bass than most things and happily get below 30hz

the kef ls50’s only have a 5inch driver and are not the bass for good bass.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom