1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice: Mission speakers with which amp/centre?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jonathanos, Nov 24, 2004.

1. jonathanos

jonathanos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've found the advice ye guys give in the forums really useful so hoping for some help here. At the moment I've got a pair of mission 71is for rears, M72 for fronts and a pionner sub (came with a lifestyle hifi..).

I've got a biggish living room(about 20 x 30 feet) and I'll be using it equally for stereo and home cinema. Budget wise is around £400, If I go for the more expensive gear below, I'll probably buy from a reputable ebayer or in the classifieds after demoing..

For my receiver I'm thinking of a marrantz SR5400 OSE (£250 new) or the sr7400 for £400 new. Any other recommendations or advice on these amps? What will I get for the extra 150? I may upgrade to b & w speakers in a few years so looking for something to last.

Centre wise I was thinking of the b & w LR60 or a mission centre(Don't know which models would go best with my m72/m71i). I'm thinking it would make sense to go for a mission as it's designed to go with my other speakers, just want to look at my options.

Thanks for your help!

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    For the centre the best match you can get is the M7c2 speaker - but it is now out of production like the rest of the M7 range. The closes match of the existing Mission range (according to mission) would be the M3c2.

I guess it is up to you to way up buying a mission centre which will get replaced when you buy the new Front speakers (and thus lose money) or to go for the centre speaker to match your planned new fronts now and just put up with the lower sound quality for now knowing you have saved yourself a bucks

3. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I think this is the mission center that is the one thet matches your speakers. It is best if you go for a mission centre to match tonally the rest of your setup.
    http://www.digitaldirectuk.com/products_moreinfo3/index.asp?product_id=747

The 5400 OSE is a good choise for the money and does very well in stereo. The 7400 has more authority in home cinema than the 5400 and has 7 channels if thats important to you. I beleive its a little better in stereo as well.
    Also worth looking at in that price range is the award winning Yamaha 750SE. No radio but a stonking amp.
    http://www.prcdirect.co.uk/PRC/PRC.storefront/EN/product/DSPAX750SETITANIUM
    Also the Denon 2105
    http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/product_id/1958