Advice: Looking for Bluray player that will play media from 2TB USB 3.0 NTFS HDD

smpearce22

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

So I've not been on these forums for a while so I'm sorry to say I'm not up to speed on the capabilities and quirks of the mainstream players these last few years.

Basically as the title suggests, I'm looking for a new budget Bluray player (between the £70-£150 mark) that will play media (primarily MKV's) from my 2TB, USB 3.0, NTFS formatted Hard drive.

I have an Oppo BDP93 as my main player which does the job perfectly, Im just looking for something cheaper for the bedroom.

All my old players, the old WD TV, and the bedroom TV have no problems playing from an older, USB 2.0, 320gig, NTFS hard drive, but none of them seem to like the 2TB USB 3.0, so I was wondering if anyone has any personal experience with any of the newish players out there, that can confirm compatibility.

All brands, and price ranges are on the table as long as they are definitely up to the job.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

I've been using a 2 TB USB 3.0 Seagate Expansion Drive with my Samsung BD-F6500 BluRay player for the last year and I recently bought the 3 TB model which also works perfectly.

The Samusung's played everything I've thrown at it so far, except for a few FLVs from YouTube that were easily redownloaded in MP4 format and played just fine.

It handles MKVs well, displaying subtitles properly and resuming play from the last position weeks or months later, as it does with all files.

Thanks for that Morpheus, that's exactly what I needed and sounds more than good enough for me.....

Much appreciated buddy :)

Hi Everyone

So I've not been on these forums for a while so I'm sorry to say I'm not up to speed on the capabilities and quirks of the mainstream players these last few years.

Basically as the title suggests, I'm looking for a new budget Bluray player (between the £70-£150 mark) that will play media (primarily MKV's) from my 2TB, USB 3.0, NTFS formatted Hard drive.

Since USB 3.0 is compatible with USB 2.0, any BDP, such as the new Sony BDP, will be able to play anything you throw at it. Just be aware that it won't be able to access drive at USB 3.0 access speeds. It will be limited to native USB 2.0 access speeds.

That's really the only difference between USB versions:
USB 3.0 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Hi Everyone

I have an Oppo BDP93 as my main player which does the job perfectly, Im just looking for something cheaper for the bedroom.

All my old players, the old WD TV, and the bedroom TV have no problems playing from an older, USB 2.0, 320gig, NTFS hard drive, but none of them seem to like the 2TB USB 3.0, so I was wondering if anyone has any personal experience with any of the newish players out there, that can confirm compatibility.

All brands, and price ranges are on the table as long as they are definitely up to the job.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

USB3.0 uses more power than USB2.0, it's possible that older kit won't have enough power to work a usb powered drive. You can get cables with a extra power connector you can connect to a second usb port or a mains usb charger to provide the extra power.

Is/was there not an issue with Samsung BD players only playing audio from USB in stereo or basic 5.1 instead of the full HD Audio track.

This of course may not be an issue depending upon the OP's setup.

Personally I think the OP would be better off with some kind of updated media streamer such as a Vero4k, Apple TV4K, Nvidia Shield etc.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom