Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Advice : KEF Q35s and KEF eggs

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by maccakm, Jul 22, 2003.

1. maccakm

maccakm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Morning.

I have a question relating to my KEF Q35s.

I'm about to purchase a Sony AV Receiver to work along with my Sony ES (TAFA 30 ES) stereo amp for home cinema duties.

I plan to link the multichannel receiver with my stereo amp so that I can get the best of both worlds ie excellent stereo,and excellent multichannel sound.

My question is this; should I go for just three eggs (two rear, once centre, and one subwoofer) and use the KEF Q35s (through my stereo amp) for the front two channels ?

OR

Should I go and get the whole package of eggs and use these instead for multichannel sound.

I expect I could use both my Q35s along with the full compliment of KEF eggs as well, does anybody have such a setup and would you recommend it ?

So many questions ! Thanks in advance:laugh:

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMO I would not use a Kef Egg for the centre (with Q35's for L/R) as it won't match, and will be totally outclassed by the Q35's.

Find a Model 100 (not perfectly matching the Q35, compared to the matched Q95 but the 100 is a much better speaker) And try out Kef 65DS for sides/rears.

Use the L/R pre-out from the AV amp to the integrated amp- connect all stereo sources to the integrated amp, and all Pro-Logic/DD/DTS sources to the AV amp.

I would also consider another make of AV amp rather than Sony, IMO they are cheap (poor amp stages) try out some others.

3. maccakm

maccakm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was advised by a few people not to bother with the stereo amp powering the Q35s, and just to plug them into the new AV receiver. My ES amp is excellent in my opinion though, so def don't want to ditch it !

Would there be problems with getting the balance right between the speakers, seeing as there are two different amps ?

I'll check out those centre/rear speakers you recommended, thanks.