Question [Advice] KEF Q300 (or change?) + ??

Thombose

Novice Member
Hi all,

I'm fairly new to the scene and I'm reading up a bit on the different possibilities. However, I'm also not a patient man and maybe made a rush decision.

A few weeks ago I was in some audio store in Belgium to get some advice. I wanted a good price/quality system for audio. Seen the size of my apartment and my budget, we listened to the KEF Q300 and B&W 685 S2 on a fairly expensive Yamaha AV amp. I liked the sound and he made me an offer with the KEFs at 650€ for a pair and the Yamaha amp at 1200 EUR (A-860? not sure).

It's way over the budget I wanted to spend on this, so I dropped it. However, while on holidays, there was an offer to buy the KEFs at 400 €. So I bought them in an impulse (today is my last day to return them if I want).

I currently have a Logitech Z5500 connected to my TV for surround.

What I'm looking for is a nice sounding setup, that allows me to listen to music easily (NAS, wifi, telephone,...) but also allows me to connect a turntable in the end,... I'm not a purist, but I can enjoy a nice piece of music, as wel as a good movie.

My questions are (hoping you are ok to answer them):
- Was it good to buy the KEF's? Will I not regret it later and turn to better sounding tower speakers when I move to a bigger house? Like the Tannoy X6TF(yes, it's also because tower speakers look cooler ;))
- Should I go for an AV amp or for a stereo amp?
-- Stereo amp my preference was: Onkyo-TX8130 because of it's build-in DAC (optical TV input) and network functionality (Wifi streaming etc.).
-- However, I assume the Marantz PM-6005 & NAD 3020d will sound better but have no networking capabilities (I'll have to buy a separate streamer or DAC)
-- AV amp: my preference was Denon x2300W, but I've seen a lot of others too
-- Will stereo sound well on these amps too, or is it better to have separate stereo amp?

In general, my idea was to hookup my z5500 speakers and sub to the amp, but replace the two front speakers by my KEF Q300.

That way, I can play stereo music through my KEFs and enjoy better sound of my movies in 5.1 (front speakers are the most important ones?) while keeping an extra center speaker for voice (old z5500 center speaker)

Or is this all just a bad idea?

Thanks for your advice in any case. It's much appreciated.

Tom

PS: not a lot of good sound stores in Belgium, so it's not so easy to just go listen.

Member 778069

My advice would be to return the speakers and wait until you have made up your mind on what you want to buy / how you intend to use the system / budget.

Nobody on this forum or any other will be able to say what will sound best to you, or what setup you should go for.
Generally speaking a stereo amp will give better results with music than an AVR, there are exceptions to this of course.

If you’re looking for a stereo receiver then Yamaha have a better range than Onkyo, but ideally you would want to go out and demo as much as you can.

I'm not familiar with those Z5500 speakers, but they appear to be PC speakers and are unlikely to be compatible with an AVR.

Russell - Audible Fidelity

deepbeep

I recently bought KEF Q300 (£249) and Yamaha RN-602 stereo streaming receiver (£369). £20 knocked off for purchasing two together.

If you are in the market for a £600 hi-fi setup that allows you to stream from NAS, Spotify, Bluetooth, airplay, usb and any other analogue/digital source then i heartily recommend.

I am surprised the prices you are being quoted for the q300. Peter Tyson in UK has them for £229. That's about 275 euros right?

doggy

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to the scene and I'm reading up a bit on the different possibilities. However, I'm also not a patient man and maybe made a rush decision.

A few weeks ago I was in some audio store in Belgium to get some advice. I wanted a good price/quality system for audio. Seen the size of my apartment and my budget, we listened to the KEF Q300 and B&W 685 S2 on a fairly expensive Yamaha AV amp. I liked the sound and he made me an offer with the KEFs at 650€ for a pair and the Yamaha amp at 1200 EUR (A-860? not sure).

It's way over the budget I wanted to spend on this, so I dropped it. However, while on holidays, there was an offer to buy the KEFs at 400 €. So I bought them in an impulse (today is my last day to return them if I want).

I currently have a Logitech Z5500 connected to my TV for surround.

What I'm looking for is a nice sounding setup, that allows me to listen to music easily (NAS, wifi, telephone,...) but also allows me to connect a turntable in the end,... I'm not a purist, but I can enjoy a nice piece of music, as wel as a good movie.

My questions are (hoping you are ok to answer them):
- Was it good to buy the KEF's? Will I not regret it later and turn to better sounding tower speakers when I move to a bigger house? Like the Tannoy X6TF(yes, it's also because tower speakers look cooler ;))
- Should I go for an AV amp or for a stereo amp?
-- Stereo amp my preference was: Onkyo-TX8130 because of it's build-in DAC (optical TV input) and network functionality (Wifi streaming etc.).
-- However, I assume the Marantz PM-6005 & NAD 3020d will sound better but have no networking capabilities (I'll have to buy a separate streamer or DAC)
-- AV amp: my preference was Denon x2300W, but I've seen a lot of others too
-- Will stereo sound well on these amps too, or is it better to have separate stereo amp?

In general, my idea was to hookup my z5500 speakers and sub to the amp, but replace the two front speakers by my KEF Q300.

That way, I can play stereo music through my KEFs and enjoy better sound of my movies in 5.1 (front speakers are the most important ones?) while keeping an extra center speaker for voice (old z5500 center speaker)

Or is this all just a bad idea?

Thanks for your advice in any case. It's much appreciated.

Tom

PS: not a lot of good sound stores in Belgium, so it's not so easy to just go listen.

Could you not get a really cheap flight to the uk to buy them or drive to a near by country?

i lived in Maaseik for a while, surely Holland has loads of shops?

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom