1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice in Tenerife

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by davecabezo, Jan 21, 2005.

1. davecabezo

davecabezo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I hope that perhaps Rasczak or some other sympathetic mod can answer this post. I have read as much as I can about DVD Ram –R etc but would like some down to earth advice about where to go from here.
    Basically I have a computer and have backed up am lot of my movies from the original |DVDs before coming to Tenerife to live for a couple of years. I used a program called DVD shrink and DVD decrypter to solve the encryption etc. as I did not want to bring the original DVDs to Tenerife.
    My VCR has now packed in and I thought this would be the right time to upgrade to a DVD-R +HDD recorder.
    I would like to use the DVD+HDD recorder to archive films from satellite onto DVD-R disks. To be able to record series from satellite,(24 on Sky1 etc.etc.) and to edit out any adverts and to create a menu to choose which episode of whatever series I record, again to save to DVD-R discs. Lastly I would also use the HDD as a VCR to record and delete random programs as required.
    I read Rasczak’s article about “Authoring” and his suggestion’s on a suitable DVD+HDD recorder and had settled on a Pioneer 420. Is this a suitable recorder and am I right in thinking that there are a lot of additional editing facilities in the RAM mode on these DVD recorders and that the additional Authoring software and DVD Ram capable PC Burner is advisable. As you can gather I am totally new to DVD+HDD recorders and would like advice on the above and also suggestions on perhaps facilities on these recorders which I don’t know about. If I’m spending £300+ I would rather know of any shortfalls or pitfalls now before I buy, in short I would appreciate any advice on additional facilities on these machines which you think are worth investing in now before I take the plunge.
    Thanks for any help you can give.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,216
    If you go for HDD/DVDR combis from any of the "big four" DVDR companies - Panasonic, Toshiba, Pioneer, Sony - then your not going to go far wrong. All the HDD/DVDRs from these companies will do what you want to do. A PC DVD burner is only required if you opt for a non-HDD DVD recorder or if you want to spend the extra time and effort designing your own menus etc.

3. davecabezo

davecabezo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick reply Rasczak. Are you saying that to be able to do what I want re my post then all I need is the Pioneer 4120?

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,216
    Yes - the Pioneer 420 will do all you want.

5. davecabezo

davecabezo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Rasczak, many thanks. Sorry for the delay in replying but here in Tenerife the connections to internet are still iffy. I'm sure I will at some stage still require your help but will try to keep myself informed as much as possible. It is people like you that keep people like me hooked on this hobby. I will go buy the Pioneer 420 and once again thanks for the help.

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,216
    They can be quite iffy here in Southampton too :D Glad to be of help anyway!