Advice / Ideas

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Gambino, May 1, 2007.

1. Gambino

Gambino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi people, New to the forums.

Recently bought a 26" Samsung LE26R74BDX

Playing DVDs on it now look terrible so i know i need to purchase a DVD Upscaler.

Can anyone advise me on one i should get, preferebly not too expensive the cheaper the better but i obviously want quality, Not really High Def like quality, I just want my normal DVDs to look as good as they use too on my lil 14" Toshiba CRT tv. Also Multi region would be good.

:thumbsup:

2. aniki

aniki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    They wont. Upscaling may help a little but any improvement will be marginal.
    Browse this forum for player recommendations. Theres tons. :cool:

3. Gambino

Gambino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm from readin reviews people seem to think the picture looks great........ So it's not worth even buying one at all then?

4. md644

md644

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Have you tried adjusting the settings on the Samsung (not an expert on this but I have a cheapy non upscaling Sharp DVD player feeding a 32" LCD and it took quite a bit of trial and error with the TV's settings to get a decent picture). Just a thought....

5. Dr Zaius

Dr Zaius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi Gambino

md644 is right. First you need to adjust your settings to achieve a decent picture.

Try using the THX Optimizer as a starting point. This is a free picture/audio set-up utility that comes on THX certified DVDs. 'Star Wars', 'Pirates of the Carribean', 'Finding Nemo' usually have this.

Turning down the backlight a bit prior to set-up can help, although not too low or you can crush the contrast.

How far do you sit from the screen? My son has a Mirai 27" lcd and if you sit too close you notice picture flaws. Try sitting 6ft + away if possible (with HD material you can sit nearer).

Finally, if you are still not satisfied, try an upscaling DVD player. We have just bought the Sony NS76, and the improvement in picture quality is easily noticeable. Upscaled to 720p the picture is more stable, no motion smearing, and details are more evident. My son previously used an XBox360 for DVDs, and the Sony is far better.

Hope this helps

6. TommyVecetti

TommyVecetti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    You might just find you need a better connection, like component or HDMI.

Forget scart once once you get an LCD.

7. Gambino

Gambino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have not messed around with TV Settings, Been trying to watch the DVDs using the PS2. Still debating on wether or not to buy an upscaler. Hopefully a HDMI Connection would improve the quality of the DVD's.