1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice: I need a good megapixel camera with a good optical zoom

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by peteyoung, May 21, 2005.

1. peteyoung

peteyoung
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im currently looking for a new digital camera which takes very good quality photos and has a good optical zoom. I would not like to go to the professional end of the market but would like something approximately 7mp or maybe a little less if the optical zoom is worth it, digital zoom is great but upto a point your pictures are useless and then there would be no point having a high resolution camera if the quality declines when you zoom

sorry a bit confusing lol :thumbsup:

any advice appreciated

2. imichael

imichael
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't get sucked in by the more megapixels is better argument - have a look at the Panasonic FZ5, 'only' 5meg, but the lens is awesome - 12 x optical zoom and very fast with it.

5meg will allow you to print very high quality 8x 10 photos' without rescaling, but I have had had good results with cropped images that are resized to A4 without too many issues.

3. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah dont get hung up on mp, it's nice to have 7 yeah, but you have to weigh it up against other features to. It should notbe the main reason why you opt for one

For the ultra zooms, then the Z5/Z20. Wide angle then i'd have a look at the olympus 7070... very well speced camera

If it's a compact then canon S70 is my fav compact.

4. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Used to have a Minolta Z1 whith 10x optical zoom, that was a cracking camera for the money. I believe the newer model has more pixels.

5. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    I just got the Panasonic FZ5 and yes its a cracking camera. I got it from Pixmania for £280. Astonishing value - 5mp 12xoptical zoom and its a leica lens!