Advice / Help required

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gadgetfreak, Oct 4, 2004.

1. gadgetfreak

gadgetfreak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I am looking to purchase a HDD recorder.

I will be using it to back up programs from SkY+, no problem here.

What I need advice on is burning onto CD radios shows that have been recorded on Sky+, for playback in my car Cd player.

Can you please recommend any players that will do this.

Also am I right in assuming the more expensive the HDD recorder, the bigger the Harddrive and faster burning speed. What is the fatest DVD burning speed avaiable?

Don't really have a budget, around £300 to £650 i suppose.

2. Neville Street

Neville Street

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think the only way to get to CD would be to burn to DVD then go through your PC to put it on a CD-R or RW. I was actually thinking about this to listen to HHGTTG but in the end just listened to it in the living room as it would have taken me as long to get it onto a CD as to listen to it!!

3. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    1. It is possible that your PC CD burning software will burn an audio input stream to CD in real time.
    Assuming the DVD machine is close to the PC then connect the audio out sockets of the DVD to the line in of the PC. You will need a lead with two RCA jacks at one end and a 2.5mm stereo jack at the other end; most PCs use this for audio input. Play DVD recording and record on the PC

If the CD burning s/w will not do the above, then copy the DVD sound tp the PC HDD as a .wav file then burn a CD. I assume you have software to record to your PC's HDD and then to write an audio CD. This will require two 'real time' passes and a bit of CD management on the PC. There are numerous free sound recorders available on the internet. Microsoft's sound recorder is not easy to use and very limited.

Unfortunately this involves conversion from the DVD digital format to analogue then back to .wav digital and then to CD, but I doubt if you'll notice this in the end result in your car.

2. If you have a domestic CD recorder then just connect the DVD's audio out sockets to the CD recorder's audio in and copy to CD in real time. If you don't have one and the facility is really important to you, then a CD recorder may be the answer. They start around £180.

If your Sky+ box has audio outputs then you could go directly to a CD recorder or your PC if you are present when the program is transmitted.

4. Large HDDs in DVD machines don't work faster than smaller ones. They just store more information. I have a Pioneer 420 with an 80GB HDD and in LP mode (about 68 hours capacity) I have never got to less than 54 hours remaining. We tend not to let too large a backlog build up or we'll just lose control of it.

A number of people like the Pioneer's comparatively easy operation. I gather the Toshiba has more flexibiliy in some areas, the Panasonics seem to be in between.
    All will cost between £350-400 with an 80GB HDD.

4. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Follow up: If you have Nero CD burning software 5.5 or above (I don't know about earlier versions) on your PC then it has a Wave Editor extension which will record an audio input to the PC HDD which you can then use to make a CD. The wave Editor may be a plug-in that you have to download from the Nero website.
    I would guess that Roxio Easy CD is similar.

5. gadgetfreak

gadgetfreak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

Thanks for all your replies.

Initally I was going to purchase a CD recoder and use the audio line out of the Sky+ straight into the CD recorder. But I thought why waste the £150-£200 on a CD recorder, where I could put this money towards a HDDVD writer.

So basically I would need to burn the audio to DVD, to transfer to my PC. Then use my PC and relevant sofware to burn to CD. I think I can live with that.

Would have been easier if a HDDVD recorder, also recorded to CD in the same manner as a dedicated CD recorder.

6. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You would be able to use re-writable DVDs providing your PC will read them.
    I would prefer the direct cable approach in my item (1) if possible. I've used a 5m cable to connect a hifi tuner to my PC with good results, but I had to make up my own cable to get this length.