Advice Getting Pending Charge Cancelled

Dazimus

Distinguished Member
I’ll cut a long story shorter but I had an issue with my Series X disconnecting from my controllers. Eventually i managed to get an advance replacement from Microsoft, who put a £474 pending charge on my account advising it would be released when they receive the faulty console.

Microsoft received the console on 23rd January and have since emailed to confirm that they’ve closed my case. However the money is still pending and not being released back to me.

I’ve spoken to Microsoft support multiple times since, asking why my charge hasn’t been released and all I’m told is that it’ll be with me soon, or they don’t know and they’ll need to look into it. But I just can’t get an update from anyone and now I’m stuck.

There doesn’t appear to be a complaints procedure with Microsoft, there isn’t an email address that I can email to escalate this to. I’ve emailed the CEO, Satya Nadella, as it’s the only email I could find related to complaints but I don’t expect much will happen there.

Does anyone else have any other ideas on what I can do to get this charge cancelled? My bank won’t do anything unless I can get something to them confirming Microsoft won’t take the money but Microsoft aren’t providing that.

Obviously £474 isn’t a small amount of money and to have it held by Microsoft for 11 days now is frustrating and stressful.

On a side note, I absolutely wouldn’t recommend anyone uses advance returns with Microsoft in the future. And hope you never need to contact their support as they’re next to useless.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
My only advice would be to try Support again via Online Chat and ask them to escalate it.
Just be polite but forceful and hopefully you should get through to someone who should be able to help.

I have always found them very helpful to be honest, sometimes I have dealt with someone who has not been able to answer or get to the bottom of it but have escalated it and then dealt with someone else who has sorted it in the end.
Frustrating I know but some of them might just be reading from a script and not able to delve into it any further.

Or you could try ringing them on 0800 026 0329 or (0)344 800 2400

Dazimus

Distinguished Member
I called the 0344 number yesterday actually. Got through to someone who said they only deal with Office 366 billing issues and that they’ll transfer me to Xbox billing ... and then they dropped the connection.

Online chat is never an option either. Saying I want to talk to an agent only gives me option to speak to an Xbox Gamer or have a call back, and the call back’s are getting me nowhere.

I’ll try calling again today and say I want to escalate straight away. I’ll also get a log of the dates when I’ve had them call me back to show how much I’ve had to do.

adbailey18

Its certainly frustrating, MS probably have the worst customer support I've ever experienced, but its not uncommon for it to be 14-21 days before any release.

Separately, I ordered two Series X, one from the UK store and the other from the Polish store. Both have been 'lost in transit' (read, stolen imo). Trying to sort that out between MS and UPS has been a full time job.

King Tones

Distinguished Member
I called the 0344 number yesterday actually. Got through to someone who said they only deal with Office 366 billing issues and that they’ll transfer me to Xbox billing ... and then they dropped the connection.

Online chat is never an option either. Saying I want to talk to an agent only gives me option to speak to an Xbox Gamer or have a call back, and the call back’s are getting me nowhere.

I’ll try calling again today and say I want to escalate straight away. I’ll also get a log of the dates when I’ve had them call me back to show how much I’ve had to do.

I know it says Xbox Gamer but I think it is still a Support Person from the Xbox Side.

I used online chat last week to sort my Game Pass Issues and the so called "Gamer" was able to cancel my subscription change my region and then re-apply the Sub with added months to it as a bonus. So worth giving it a go if the Call does not work.

Hope you get it sorted, but as adb states it can take 14>21 Days which seems silly imo

Dazimus

Distinguished Member
I know it says Xbox Gamer but I think it is still a Support Person from the Xbox Side.

I used online chat last week to sort my Game Pass Issues and the so called "Gamer" was able to cancel my subscription change my region and then re-apply the Sub with added months to it as a bonus. So worth giving it a go if the Call does not work.

Hope you get it sorted, but as adb states it can take 14>21 Days which seems silly imo

Clicked to the Gamer option and it ended up putting me an actual agent it seems. Escalated it and they said I’ll hear back within 24 hours. We’ll see.

I also suggested they just charge me and ship me a console if that’s easier. It’s more hassle for me in that I’d have to deal with selling it but at this rate it feels quicker to do that if it’s something they’ll do, though I can’t see them going down that route.

iwb100

Distinguished Member
Ring your credit card provider if you haven't already and check that this isn't an issue on their side. I've had pending charges show up in my account weeks after money was released and CC issuer said it was their end where the problem was but that the money was in reality returned and card balance was full as you'd expect and to just carry on and in a few weeks the system would correct itself. It did.

So I'd ask them first to check its not something like that where its been released back but slow to update within the system. This has happened to me numerous times - pending charges as a deposit for things taking ages to show back in the system.

imnotrich

Its certainly frustrating, MS probably have the worst customer support I've ever experienced, but its not uncommon for it to be 14-21 days before any release.

Separately, I ordered two Series X, one from the UK store and the other from the Polish store. Both have been 'lost in transit' (read, stolen imo). Trying to sort that out between MS and UPS has been a full time job.
Had exactly the same issue (although only uk, not Poland) but trying to get it sorted took forever despite numerous calls, emails and escalations, I won’t order hardware from M$ ever again. And don’t get me started on UPS, (Utter Pile of S#@%e) !!

Dazimus

Distinguished Member
Bank have said they’ll cancel if MS can provide an email confirming they won’t take the funds. But as it’s been escalated to the hardware team (for whatever that’s worth), the advisor said I need to wait for them to pick it up now.

Such a hassle.

Portisheadmark

Standard Member
Bank have said they’ll cancel if MS can provide an email confirming they won’t take the funds. But as it’s been escalated to the hardware team (for whatever that’s worth), the advisor said I need to wait for them to pick it up now.

Such a hassle.
I’ve had this so many times with hotels, particularly Switzerland.... but I digress.

Dont bother calling your bank, call the banking merchant provider direct ie visa disputes number is 03453660391, MC or AMEX you’d need to google. Explain the issue, with dates, times etc. They’ll have the held payment showing back in your account within an hour.

i used to have to do this on an almost weekly basis pre-COVID so know this process well. Only way around it is not allowing a pre-authorisation... easier said than done with some companies.

Dazimus

Distinguished Member
Just an update on this. I ended up emailing some high up people at Microsoft (Nadella, Belmont, Burt) knowing I wouldn’t get a reply from them directly but that they should hopefully pass it to someone to deal with.

That plan appears to have worked as I was emailed by a Customer Relationship Manager who picked it up for me. She spoke to their financial department and the charge was released, along with the authorisation code for the bank to release on their side. I forwarded the email to my bank and they cancelled the pending charge.

I made a point of telling the CRM that it wasn’t acceptable and that they need to investigate what happened and what can be done to prevent it from happening again to others. Email back from MS acknowledging and that they’ll look into what happened as well as a note to say they’ve added £50 credit to my account.

So it’s all closed and sorted now. But it’s a definite lesson learned for me and I won’t be using an advance replacement with Microsoft again.

adbailey18

Not a bad monetary investment in the end though 😉

Glad you got it sorted though.

The latest video from AVForums

LG SP11RA Soundbar Review Coming Soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom