1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice from some of you exercise gurus please

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by SanPedro, May 17, 2005.

1. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +505
    I've just been using my new 'TotalGym' (see here) for a few weeks now and have been noticing a real benefit from using it.

What I'd like though, is to be able to trim down the old waistline a bit faster. Any suggestions as to the best way of going about this? Running is a no-no as I don't like it and I think its bad for my joints long-term. I do have a mountain bike though.

Any advice much appreciated on exercise and diet.

Chris

2. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +505
    200!! :eek: I do about 20 at inclined crunches on the bench at the moment.

What sort of time is worth putting in for a good workout? I manage about 30 minutes a day at the moment. Would an hour make much more difference?

Not lost any weight yet but I seem to have gone down a whole belt stop already. :)

CL

3. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Just remember.....no pain no gain!

4. Mroizouk

Mroizouk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Muscle mass is denser than fat, so turning fat into muscle won't necessarily cause you to lose weight.

If you do more cardio exercise, this will help you to lose more weight. If you want to do resistance-based exercise every day, don't excercise the same muscles on consecutive days.

Don't try and adopt a level of exercise you can't maintain though, as long as you're doing at least 3 x 30 mins a week, you'll benefit significantly.

Swimming is a good whole body low-impact exercise (won't hurt your joints) if there's a pool near you.

5. Spasm

Spasm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well three years of a sports science and excercise health degree have given me a few pointers!

To reduce the waist line you need to do cardiovascular excercise where you are working aerobically. Swimming is one of the best forms and is non weight bearing.

You need to be looking at, at least 3 sessions of 45 minutes per week, coupled with a good diet. This will help trim down! You can couple this with sit ups but this tones rather than helps loose weight.

If you do not like swimming try three long cycle rides per week 45 minutes or there abouts. You need to up the work rate to ensure you are working aerobically so you are fat burning, ideally you should be able to hold a conversation without panting for breath so this will ensure you are working at the right level.

If you want to give your self a metabolic boost to help burn fat slightly quicker, have 5 small meals daily cutting out carbs after 3-4 O'clock. You can also take a metabolic enhancer. A good herbal one is called Thermabol made by maximuscle. I took this before I went on hoilday and managed to get my fat percentage from 11% to 5% in around a month or so.

6. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,491
    mmm.....this won't trim his stomach, as the flab is still on top of the muscle, you'll need to swim or some other kind of CV exercise to burn off the fat, and remember you can't "spot burn" fat!

But running and walking are good at toning the lower abs, as are reverse crunches, toe touches, and holding the ab plank. And remember its not the quanitity that counts, but quality!

7. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +505
    Thanks guys, some useful stuf there.

So if I get this right the best option would be to alternate the cardio on the bike with the resistance work on the total gym - Day 1: bike ride, Day 2: resistance work on the total gym, Day 3: bike ride (etc).

At the moment I'm doing pretty much the same routine of exercise each day, so what's the benefit of giving the muscles a rest very other day?

And I'll try to remember the advice on not eating carbs after 4.00pm.
    I suppose beer counts in that :(

Chris

8. Spasm

Spasm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It really depends on what you want to acheive. Slim down and tone or bulk and get large? A good beginners routine is work out with weights monday/wednesday/friday and do your cardio tuesday/thursday/saturday. This is my current routine but I'm just finishing a bulking stage (heavy weights low reps), then will spend the next three months cutting in (lighter weights higher reps)!

The reason you rest your muscles, is that when you are resting your muscles are repairing and growing. You basically get stonger/bigger muscles, as working out tears the muscle fibres, when you are resting/sleeping your muscles repair getting bulkier stonger fibres.

Carbs does indeed include beer. Remeber 1 pint of beer has the calorific content of a large meal, so six of them and your back to working out for a month to shift it!

You will probably have to increase your protein intake to give your muscles the energy to grow to there full potential, Pro V-60 is a good complete protein shake and tastes pretty good!

9. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    You might want to get a cycle computer for your bike - they're an excellent way to keep track of your progress and useful for improving your stamina and fitness. You can get a basic one for about 10 quid - probably the best cycling related thing i've bought in 12 years of mountain biking (apart from a bike!)

10. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +505
    ????

I didn't think beer was that heavy? I though a beer was around the 200 calorie mark (according to a few websites I checked) which would mean at least 4 would be the equivalent of a heavy meal (assuming around 2100 - 2400 calories per day).

Chris

11. Spasm

Spasm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oops you are right! I couldn't remember if it was one or three! It will still take some shifting!

12. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,491
    Make sure you change your routine, otherwise the benefit will be reduced. Even if its just differing the amount of each exercise. But its best to exercise different areas of the body on different days, in order not to over use muscle and cause injury.

Make sure you eat plenty of protein in latter part of the day, as thats when your body repairs muscle, and protein is its favourite source of fuel for muscle repair!

13. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +505
    What's best sources of protein?

Chicken? Fish? Steak? I guess skinless chicken has the least fat. What about eggs? Or are do they give you high cholesterol?

Chris

14. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,491
    White meat, but i usually just have a protein shake....Zero fat, salt, sugar.

15. tom_painter85

tom_painter85
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    eat plenty of meat and fish, porridge is good in the morning, milk, etc. Omlettes made with at least 4eggs are reasonable, and as long as you're doing reasonable exercise, cholesterol shouldn't be an issue.

I started gymming too :) - makes you feel great

HTH

Tom

16. Spasm

Spasm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is very true, by varying your workout your giving you body enough time to recover. If you work your muscles too much you are not giving them enough time to re-build, this is known as overtraining.

Not true, your body starts to repair muscle as soon as you are resting/not using the muscle.

17. Spasm

Spasm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fish like tuna etc is good, turkey has the least fat, chicken is good but can still be fatty compared to the turkey.

If you have eggs don't use the yolk as this will raise your cholesterol! if you do want the yolk, I would not have more than two per week.

Protein drinks are plentiful on the market but you need to make sure its pure filtered protein I can send you the details of the stuff I use if you like -

I get it from:

http://www.tropicanahealthandfitness.com/

18. dc007

dc007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I find that unlikely and unhealthy.

If you were, say, 180lbs in weight at 11% BF that would be equal to 160lbs lean and 20lbs fat. To get to 5% BF without losing any muscle mass you'd weigh 168 (160 lean and 8 fat). You'd have lost 12lb lard in 'around a month'. But as a sports science degree holder you'd realise it would be impossible to lose 12lbs fat in 4 or 5 weeks whilst maintaining all your muscle mass. So you'd probably lose at least 5lb of lean mass too.... throwing your BF ratio out further.

Anyway, without going into further detail methinks you are exaggerating.....

19. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,491
    Yep, reducing your body fat, while not reducing muscle mass is a slow process, and to lose 12lb can take many months.

Also remember, the quicker you lose the flab, the quicker it goes back on!

20. Spasm

Spasm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right to put you non believers to rights:

My bulking stage took 6 months and at the end of it I weighed 20 St - with 11% BF (I'm 6'9"). I have a fast matabolism and find it hard to hold onto weight when I'm training (family trait). So I started my cutting stage before I went on holiday 4-5 weeks defore I went. I changed my diet, upped my cardio and reduced the heavy weights I was lifting in favour of light weights high reps. (Cardio 3 times a week, weights 5 times a week) - I changed my protein to a non fat based protein with no sugars, and starting taking a metabolic inhancer. At the end of the 5 weeks I had but to 17.5 -17.8 stone with a 5% BF - Checked with calipers!

It was all done in a healthy manor and my flat mate also did the same diet/excercise although didn't loose as much as I did!

21. Spasm

Spasm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One thing that may have have been a factor was that I was also taking creatine which would mean the 11% by calipers would have taken water retention into the equation.

22. dc007

dc007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Wow !

In 5 weeks you lost 35lbs !

A pound a day !

Impressive.

How many sites did you measure your skinfold thickness with the calipers, just out of interest ? Notoriously inaccurate measure, but I agree they're a decent indication and also the most accessible method.