1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice from any FQ70/Sony DAVS550 owners.

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by PaulJ, Apr 23, 2003.

1. PaulJ

PaulJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im just looking for a bit of advice. Just got a refund for my 9527 and lx3000d.

I can get the FQ70 and DAVS550 for £1180.

My only concern is that you cannot get RGB and there is no scart connection.

How do you have the s-video connected to the tv? Where are the s-video connections, at the back? Do you think the picture quality is as good as RGB?

Thanks

PaulJ :D

2. bob mushroom

bob mushroom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I have this setup myself and have an ixos s-vhs to Scart lead set up into AV3 - compared to s-vhs -s-vhs (in the front of the tv through AV4 the rear connection actually provides the better oicture (possibly due to lead quality).

IMO the rear AV3 option is really the way to go and saves an unsightly lead in the front of the TV.

3. PaulJ

PaulJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Bob,

AV3 does sound the way to go. I couldn't cope with wires in front of the tv.

Ive seen your previous threads, you seem happy with the FQ70, do you think the picture matches up to the pixel plus? I had the dark bars on my 2 sets and after a while the halo effect and shimmering was annoying me.

Does yours suffer any sort of artifacting?

Looking forward to getting the tv, it looks pretty good, as does the davs 550.

Cheers

Paul

4. bob mushroom

bob mushroom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Too be honest YES there is some occasionally but this seems to be on the "cheaper" programming where perhaps the bitrates are not the best!!

I have too say it is the best "Sports" 100hz tv (for the money) I have seen and IMO is superior to the Phillips (4 friends have and dont use P+!!)

Downside - the buzzing - there is a slight hum from power supply. Scan coils are notorious for buzzing on Sony's (not to bad on this model -have to be right beside and only on Sky blue screens!)
    Having said that I had a FX66 prior and that was bad - I would not swap the FQ70 for anything on the market for the price

5. PaulJ

PaulJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your advice bob.

Anyone else have any comments on this tv yet??

Cheers

Paul :cool:

6. static

static

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only problem I've seen on this TV so far is that it has a blue halo effect above dark images/edges on the screen useing Region 1 movies,its fine with Region 2.

7. PaulJ

PaulJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks static.

Thankfully I only have region 2 dvd's at the moment. DVD will only play R2 as well.

Ordered tv and davs 550 yesterday, should be here some time next week, hopefully before thursday, as thats when comet are coming to pick up the 9527, waheey.

Thanks for your advice, i'll post my comments when i get the set.

Paul

8. PaulBrum

PaulBrum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My FQ70 arrived today - sat in a box in the hall at the moment, as it wouldnt fit through the lounge door - it's massive !!!!!!! and weighs about 4 tonnes.

Will update on Monday

Paul

9. PaulJ

PaulJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ordered my FQ70 and DAVS550 yesterday, will be here on Monday! Not Bad!

They will install for me as well. Thank god, me and the missus had to pick up the 9527 to put it on the stand, never again !!

Shame, i'll be at work when it arrives, will have to wait all day to play with my new toy. :(

Does anyone happen to know the dimensions and weight of the set, haven't been able to find any?

Bob Mushroom,

Sorry to hear about the buzzing, hope your next set will be ok.

I'll update on my set on Monday, hopefully.

Paul :D

Ps. Can anyone confim that the davs550 comes with s-vhs - scart lead? So i dont need to buy any more leads to start with.

Thanks.

10. bob mushroom

bob mushroom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    i'll measure mine and post

weight = heavy!!!

Dav does not come with s-vhs to sscart lead you will need to buy

11. Teessider

Teessider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh am I sad or what - I know the dimensions of TV without looking in the brochure!!!

FQ70 910Wx586Hx584D, weight 64 kg !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am now under great pressure to get one bought, but I just don't like spending money!!!

12. bob mushroom

bob mushroom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    teesider having measured you are spot on!!! you deserve to splash out!!!

13. Teessider

Teessider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahem, Bob, that's 2 s's in Teessider if you please - we are very sensitive about that!

Hope you're enjoying your TV.

On the s-vid to scart; get a good quality all-in-one, the difference is huge. I must say that I love my DAV-S550 - not one single gripe. I use it in Dolby Prologic II for most TV stuff and can't get over how much more I enjoy watching TV programes, not just films.

14. bob mushroom

bob mushroom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    ssorry mate!!!!

15. PaulJ

PaulJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Bob/Teessider.

Much appreciated, let you know what I think when I get it all set up.

Cheers

Paul :clap:

16. PaulBrum

PaulBrum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well, it's been delivered, and I set it up the weekend (with massive hangover on Saturday - do not attempt this under any circumstances!!).

Initial comments (and questions!!), you will see from the questions i am in no way an expert in the field of AV stuff!!

TV and Davs system is awesome, I am very very impressed !!!, didnt even bother setting up my existing Sony video, just the dvd and sky box. The TV weighs a tonne!

I currently have scart (cheapy waiting for my Thor to come thru) from pace sky box to RGB1 and the free Davs lead from the yellow connector on the back of the davs to RGB 2 via scart adapter. The only other thing i have connected is all the Davs speakers.

Few queries tho, your help would be appreciated.

How do i get surround sound during TV playback (sky digital), presumably i need to get some phono leads (are these called interconnects?) to run between the TV (or digital reciever?) and video 1 on the davs unit - any suggestions, or is quality of these much of a muchness?

I need to get a lead to replace the free one I got with the Davs unit. presumably, i go for a lead with an S-Video connection one end and a scart the other end (to RGB2) ( I think Bob mentioned this)

Whats the best way to connect my X-Box?

Having not had a dvd player before, and having watched TV on a 16inch portable for the last month whilst my insurance claim was being sorted, i must admit i am gobsmacked at the quality of the dvd picture and sound. Had an old Sony KV25 before with pro-logic sound and it knocks spots off that !!!!1st DVD watched - Attack of the Clones - fantastic!!

Go for it, buy one !!

Your help would be appreciated

Paul

17. PaulJ

PaulJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi PaulBrum,

Yes to get surround sound from sky you need a phono lead from tv to davs550, I used the video 1 inputs on the back of the davs.

I bought a monster s-video - scart to for the dvd, seems ok.

Dont know how you would go about setting up x-box, presumably use scart 2, tv should send signal to davs for surround sound then, i think.

As you may have guessed I got my FQ70 on Monday. Good looking tv suits my room more than the 9527.

Initial thoughts about the picture were that it didnt seem that clear, compared to the 9527 there didnt seem to be much detail, obviously due to the extra processing of the 9527. Having watched the tv for a few days now I actually prefer the picture, no artifacts or shimmering. The overall picture seems better, somehow more stable. The consistency of the picture is better as well, where as on the 9527 some channels looked v. poor. All channels look good with the fq70.

The only fault i can see is when watching say bbc1 or any channel when you get the black border at the top and bottom of the screen the picture bends upwards a bit at the top right. Dont know if this can be fixed in the service menu or not. Don't suppose anyone has the codes for this model yet do they?

The TV does buzz a little bit, you mainly notice it when you switch the tv on, but after a minute you cannot hear it. To make the buzz out you have to be sat in near silence.

Im impressed with the DAVS 550, the sound and surround quality is excellent.

So all in all im very happy with the tv.

Just thought i'd post my first impressions on the tv.

PaulJ :clap:

18. PaulBrum

PaulBrum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Glad your happy with the set, didnt notice any buzzing i must admit, although i have it that loud it would have to be a major problem for me to hear it.

I've connected the sky digibox to video 2 on the Davs unit, it seemed to give me a louder sound that connecting it to the TV.

Looking to get a second hand sony digibox now (about 70 quid i think) to match the rest of the kit, plus its got optical out apparently which should give a better quality sound.

I find the sound fields on the davs a bit confusing, normal surround whilst watching sky gives a garbled sound on the rear speakers, whilst auto decode gives no rear sound at all. The cinema A,B & C settings seem to give the best sound. Not sure what your supposed to use whilst watching DVD's? The manual is also very confusing

not noticed the picture bending (dont live next to Uri Gellar do you?) or the black ban - i will have a look tonight.

I'm waiting to get better quality leads as well, still got old scart link to digibox and using the free lead and scart converter from the davs to the TV. Brought the phono leads from Currys for about 3 quid as well, so i can imagine it will only get better !!

Paul

19. PaulJ

PaulJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOL :rotfl:

I noticed the same thing with the normal surround on sky, thats what I use, as its the only one that seemed to give me sound thru' rear speakers. haven't worked out the best yet, still playing. Havent had much chance this week.

With DVD's I use Auto surround, this then selects the best sound from the DVD, ie dolby/dts etc.

Paul :smoke:

20. PaulBrum

PaulBrum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Paul,

What phono interconnects do you use - i think better quality audio leads may solve the scrambled voice effects on the rear speakers.

Can anyone recommend some good phono leads????

Paul

21. PaulJ

PaulJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Paul,

They are just bog standard interconnects, think i got them free with last telly.

To be honest i havent noticed the garbled sound recently. Have had it in normal surround as well. I'll check again tonight.

I noticed when you watch sky with surround and tv speakers are off, the tv remote controls the surround sound? And the davs remote controls the sound as well but it doesnt seem to increase the volume that much compared to the tv remote?? :confused:

Regards

Paul :rolleyes:

22. PaulBrum

PaulBrum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    havent noticed that on mine I must admit - will check tonight - have you turned the sound off on the TV completely ? (via the menu) or just turned it down?

Still getting the garbled rear speakers (only noticable if you hold the speaker to your ear though) through Auto decode and Normal Surround.

have you got the speakers on stands??

Paul

23. PaulJ

PaulJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I had speakers turned off thru' menu, which is why it suprised me. I had to use tv remote to get sound to a reasonable level, will keep playing see if i can find anything else out.

Yes I have the rear speakers on wall backets. I think it does sound garbled when you get close up, don't think its a fault though, I seem to remember it sounding same with my last philips speakers.

The normal surround is the only one that provides surround sound on sky channels isnt it?

Paul :rolleyes:

24. PaulBrum

PaulBrum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Nope, - i actually get a far better sound using cinema ex a,b or c on the davs system (sound not garbled) - if you cant get that - try connecting your phono leads to the digibox instead of the tv ????

To my way of thinking - if sky broadcast in digital, you should get clear surround sound ??? which is why I'm puzzled as to the garbled sound quality (think it may be down to the quality of the leads) - would be interesting to see if any other davs users have an opinion

let me know how you get on

Paul

25. PaulJ

PaulJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will try connecting to sky box 2nite, see if that works. Will let you know. Thanks for the tip.

Have any other davs 550 users noticed this? Could maybe put a post in receivers forum?

It may just be when you are close up????

26. PaulBrum

PaulBrum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Did you hook it up to the sky receiver last night - any difference???

27. PaulJ

PaulJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Yes hooked it up to sky box last night. It is much better. Volume is louder and clearer and volume is only controllable by davs remote. Got full surround on the cinema ex options as well.

Was checking sound through rear speakers this morning, i couldn't hear any garbled effect at all. Tried a few different channels and sound seemed to be quite clear through rear speakers.

I will keep an ear out to see if it occurs again. Don't know what could be causing it. Might be worthwhile trying some different cables??

Regards

Paul :smashin:

28. PaulBrum

PaulBrum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yep - it's a bit hit and miss to be honest with the rear speakers, watching Braveheart last night and there was no sound scrambling at all. I'm gonna get some better leads anyway

Still think most things sound better in Cinema Ex B though - Braveheart was awesome !!

Paul