Advice from 30D owners please

redmax

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Well................ had the 350D for a while now and...............

I kinda got the upgrade bug. Might consider selling the 350 and trying something else.

Not really flush with cash but was thinking of large deposit (from sale of 350) and interest free for a 30D

Would the 30D give me a noticable image quality difference.

I have read the specs and can see higher ISO and better burst rates, mag body but what other extra benefits would I experience?

Interested to hear from 30D owners who may have moved from a 350D or similar

I wouldn't say that IQ is miles ahead of the 350D for the increase from 8mp to 8.2mp, but what you do get is a bigger camera which makes the handling much better, a massive screen which is great, more focus points (9 instead of 7), better metering (spot metering) and then the things that you already mentioned like better burst rate, higher ISO. After using the 30d the 350d seems tiny and a bit awkward to handle as I catch my fingers on the lens all the time.

I went from using a pair of 350Ds to a 20D/30D combination.
Image quality isn't noticeabley better on the 30D (maybe a little less noise at high ISO), what is better though is AF accuracy - I get masses more sharp, in-focus shots now. Also the smaller ISO increments are pretty handy. What really does it for me though are the bigger LCD display, the build quailty and spot metering.

oh.....................stooooooooooooooooooooooop

Your making me want to spend money

Tell me its not worth it;);)

How can i convince the missus that the 30D is actually the same price as my 350:devil:

Anyone good at designing spoof adverts:devil::devil::devil::devil::devil:??

No real difference in image quality either but build quality is miles ahead of the 350d and the spot metering is very useful. That said, rumours are of a 350d replacement that may have a few added features so if you like the handling then perhaps wait a month or so? I got rid of my 350d mainly due to the handling as I have big hands and after a while I found it uncomfortable.

redmax said:
Anyone good at designing spoof adverts:devil::devil::devil::devil::devil:??

Why not show her this screen print I got from the Jessops website. Or better still take it into Jessops and see if you can blag it from a Saturday kid behind the counter !

211712086_1e8342b737_o.jpg

Ray :)

I'll have two of the 30D + 17-85 lens for £2 each please ;) :rotfl:

Ray..................

I luv it :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

That'll do the trick.

:cool: Baron. I also have big hands which is why I brought the BG-E3.

Are you saying i won't need the equivilent grip with the 30D?

Thanks

A 30d without grip is nicer to handle than a 350d with or without grip. If you take pictures with the camera on it's side or if you need extended battery life you may still want a grip though.

Have a look at a used 20D. Should be easy enough to pick up around £500 body only or £550 with kit lens. Still gives that big step up in build quality at a much lower cost.

Thanks Crocodile. how's the lens?

What is the difference between 20D & 30D

...........and have you seen this here

A 30D for about £550.00 brand new :eek::eek::eek:

Whats the risk with buying from USA. All bodies come with Int warranty do they not?

I wonder if a forum member is off to NYC soon and would like to help out :rolleyes:

redmax said:
Ray..................

I luv it :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

That'll do the trick.

:cool: Baron. I also have big hands which is why I brought the BG-E3.

Are you saying i won't need the equivilent grip with the 30D?

Thanks

I bought a grip anyway but that's just because I like the ease of shooting that way in portrait mode but it does improve the handling as well.

Big screen really does make a difference and the 30d has the spot metering that the 20d doesn't.

One for sale brand new for £700 by STUV on POTN. I've bought from him before and he's pretty good. Also has a brand new 20d with kit lens for £600, but to be honest for £100 extra I'd get the 30d without kit lens.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=201922

sjameson said:
A 30d without grip is nicer to handle than a 350d with or without grip. If you take pictures with the camera on it's side or if you need extended battery life you may still want a grip though.

I suppose the batteries for the 30D are different to the 350D?

Now own 4 for the 350D:mad:

Yes quite a bit bigger. 20d and 30d use same grip/batteries.

redmax said:
Thanks Crocodile. how's the lens?

What is the difference between 20D & 30D

Whats the risk with buying from USA. All bodies come with Int warranty do they not?

I wonder if a forum member is off to NYC soon and would like to help out :rolleyes:
The lens is long gone. Just needed it to help a mate sell a body. :devil:

Have a look at the 30D review here & then compare it with the 20D review from the same site. IMHO, not enough difference to justify the price hike.

No, bodies do not have international warranty. You may well never need to claim anyway but there is a distubingly high number of refurbs being sold by Canon's outlet store on a certain auction site.

Give it a couple of weeks and I think you'll find currency movements will move even further in your favour.

Calumet are doing the 30D for £699 at the moment.

So do you think it wise to buy from the USA and import it.?

I suppose its just luck and one should hope it doesn't go wrong.

:)

redmax said:
So do you think it wise to buy from the USA and import it.?

I suppose its just luck and one should hope it doesn't go wrong.

:)
If you import it officially you will need to add shipping, import duty & VAT which will bring you up to UK pricing anyway. Some overseas sellers are prepared to misdescribe the shipment in an attempt to avoid duty but at the end of the day, that is effectively smuggling. If there's one government agency you don't want to cross it's Customs.

Yes I understand customs rules. I've had my share of parcels opened by C&E.

I was thinking of arranging for someone to bring one back for me.
Most UK visitors to NYC don't seem to have any trouble bringing a few goodies home in their luggage;)

Anyone going to NYC in the next few weeks/months and interested in helping then please send me a PM

The price is just too good to ignore.

I've spent all day convincing myself to get a 30D.:D
I want one.

redmax said:

Hello Redmax,

The store you link to in USA is also known as many other names :)

check reseller ratings http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1995.html

you will never buy the camera for the advertised price. if you find someone to try to 'help' they will get ripped off for sure.

best to buy in UK from a real company.

Jacobs are £749.99 inc VAT at the moment, and thats a website that has high street shops :) http://www.jacobsdigital.co.uk/products.php?productId=12729

hope that helps,

Mark.

Hi Mark

I only used the ad as an example of prices.

In a previous thread where the op was asking which shops members could recomend in NYC for camera goods I seem to remember B&H being popular.

As you can see here the 30D is $1250 which is £660.00:eek::eek:
They are well respected and won't rip anyone off.
I know people who have been there.

Why do we have to pay so much over here for everything?

Thanks for the heads-up anyway

Mark. On a completly off-topic matter can you pm your daytime telephone number. I need to talk to you about the DVI cable.

Thanks

redmax said:
With an Egg card & web voucher, Dixons is £730 for the kit - delivered.

redmax said:
Hi Mark

I only used the ad as an example of prices.

In a previous thread where the op was asking which shops members could recomend in NYC for camera goods I seem to remember B&H being popular.

They are well respected and won't rip anyone off.

B&H are fine :thumbsup:

Dont forget you have to pay 8.375% sales tax if you buy in the shop
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart.jsp&A=getpage&Q=HelpCenter/SalesTax.jsp

that makes the orginal £660 more like £715, without a UK warranty and having to smuggle it through customs :eek: .
if you get stung for UK VAT etc, will cost you about £840 to £860 approx

Mark. On a completly off-topic matter can you pm your daytime telephone number. I need to talk to you about the DVI cable.

Thanks

sent you a PM :)

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom