Advice for upgrading sound stage please...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by sgecko, Jan 17, 2003.

1. sgecko

sgecko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Moving house and will have a smaller cinema room. Would like to get speakers ideally matched depending on budget. My main stage is the B&W CDM fronts which I'd like to keep but I'd like smaller sourrounds which ideally can be wall-mounted or certainly small enough to go on stands which have relatively small floor surface area.

Current set-up:

Amp: Denon 3801
    DVD: Pioneer DV717
    Centre: B&W CDM-C
    Stereos: B&W CDM S2
    L & R surrounds: Kef Q 32.5 Floorstanders
    Rear Centre: Pair of Kef 55s satellites
    Sub: M&K VX7 Mk2

Q: What should I replace the surrounds with? Local Hi-Fi dealer suggested B&W DM600 S3 for L & R surrounds and LCR600 S3 for rear centre.

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +480
    Well ... (IMO) floorstanders arn't always better than free-mounted ... in fact in many circumstances / speaker series the reverse is true ... especially in the case of lower end stuff (not that the CDM NTs are low end). I think a lot is down to the fact that a floorstander's cabinet is a lot more complex than a stand-mount, so unless the extra is invested in the design, and therefore a comparitive increase in price, then the floorstand can be found very lacking. Try comparing floorstanders to a pair of (same range) stand mount on suitably priced stands and see what YOU think. Don't let anyone (not people here, no magazines, not the dealer) which you should think is best.

The LCR600 is a very good speaker and some people even use 5(6/7) of them for a full surround system but given the rest of your system (IMO) the LCR600 will be very over the top for a rear centre - especially considering the comparitively small number of films that use it, and that you are sugesting partnering it with 600s3 for the left and right. For less you could get 3 (or even 4) 600s3 for the rears, or also consider 3 or 4 x 601s3 or 3x LCR60s3 instead. Of course if you just get the 600s3 ... then you'll have some towards upgrading your fronts. Have you also considered sourcing another set of KEF Q55 satellites for the left and right rears?

More for you to think about
    Victoria

3. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I'd go with 2 pairs for DM601 S3's for the surrounds personally. They'll be a much closer match to your front soundatge than the KEF's you currently have, and you'll also benfit from improved surround panning.

If it's the CDM2 front speakers that you have I'd consider adding a second M&K sub. A pair of good small subs should be able to give more controlled bass in a small room than floorstanders, and the CDM2's are good speakers.

4. sgecko

sgecko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. sgecko

sgecko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For suggestions, could you also quote approx prices and reliable suppliers.... that would be a great help.

6. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    B&W DM601's are £250 pair

I think the M&K VX7 has been replaced by the K9 £595

Not really sure of suppliers near Walsal.