Advice for speaker placement

GreasyWeasel

Established Member
Reaction score
I am currently in the middle of having my loft converted and will use one of the rooms as a home cinema. I already have my speakers which are Mordaunt Short 500 Selects. The problem I need advice on is the rear speakers (506 Dipoles) are normally wall mounted however since this is a loft conversion I have a sloping ceiling (60 degree slope) which makes the vertical walls very short. On one side of the room the wall is 1m high and the other it is only 70cm high. The room is 16' wide by 18' long (at the longest point, the room is a bit shorter on the left side, 16').

Where and how would you put the rear speakers? Does anyone know of any stands that would take these speakers?

While I'm on the subject does anyone know of any good centre speaker stands since my kit won't be at the front and therefore I won't have anything to put my centre speaker on?

Assuming you are meaning REAR speakers (in a 7.1 setup rather than surrounds in a 5.1), two ideas:

First, if you're fixed (no pun intended) on wall mounting them, obviously conventional wallmounts won't do. However, if you don't mind a bit of an esoteric idea, you could DIY yourself a pair of brackets which hang from the sloping walls, a bit like projector ceiling mounts, but with the mounting plate set at an angle of 45 degrees so it meets the sloping roof flush and your speakers are still at a perfect angle. If you don't feel confident of this yourself, any good joiner could knock something up for you.

Secondly, any pair of good speaker stands should accomodate if you don't mind 'em sitting on the floor. Move them away from the sides of the room though, so you're not running into the lowest part of the sloping roof - actually, a "closer together" position is more technically correct in any case.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom