1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

advice for speaker needed in a church or a small hall

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by netgear, Apr 17, 2004.

1. netgear

netgear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what it is my friend goes to a local church and they want speakers put in, 2 at the front and 2 at the rear he told them he has a friend who can sort it out (me).

1.i don't why he told them that am not that great at choice speakers for that kind of thing.

2. i don't have a clue what i need .

any advice would be very helpful also. they only want book shelf style speakers and in a price range of £150-200 each pair.

they will be used mainly for speaking. no music

i've looked around and found Tannoy Reveal Project Studio Monitor speakers for £159.00.

if only i knew what kind of speakers i was looking for :confused: :confused:

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,392
    The problem with a church setup is that the amps are at the back and the speakers are therefore a fair distence from amps. This causes a loss of signal.
    In order to be able to use thin cable and minimize resistance losses, church audio systems work on the 100 volt line system, where the output of the amplifier is boosted to a higher level, and sent down a single cable pair, from which all the speakers are fed. Each speaker contains a transformer, which can be set to extract the required amount of power from the "line" - like a pre-set volume control. This offers the ability to "fine-tune" the level of each individual speaker to achieve the most even coverage.

You should steer well clear of HiFi/AV speakers and go for dedicated PA speakers.

I helped a friend install a system in my local church several years ago and this is what we did. I'll have a chat with him and see if I can get more details and pass them on to you if/when I get anything.

Mark.

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,392
  4. netgear

netgear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi marke19 thanks for the reply i tried telling them that PA was the way to go, but they still want book shelf speakers basicley. i just find out my self that they just want me to get them the speakers.
    as they have some one installing everything else so i don't understand why the person who is installing has not chosen the speakers need for the setup. the room is kind of big they say it could hold upto 50-60 people but i think abit more then that

i'll tell them the advice you gave me but the installer is the kind of person who doesn't like people telling his job.

also they showed me a set of speakers they where tannoy Revolution R1 they said a shop recommended these for theere use but there more of a home cinema setup

so i found these speakers Alesis M1 Active MK2 which are active speakers

are these any good for there use

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,392
    Another quick google search brought up a few sites selling them for around £250 a pair. That looks to be great VFM to me and should be fine for a church PA as long as 75w is enough. Obviously they will need a power socket at each of the speakers.

Mark.

6. netgear

netgear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers m8 thats great news