1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice for someone thinking of getting a Panny E55

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by F G Evans, Sep 22, 2004.

1. F G Evans

F G Evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am seriously tempted to get one of these especially as they are now braeking the sub £200 barrier. However i have a number of questions that require answers. Hopefully somebody can help.

1. I note that the E55 only has a optical digital audio out. I also have an x box which has the same output. My 5.1 creative lab set up has one optical audio connector which i currently connect my x - box too and one electrical (co-axial) digital audio which my current Tosh 330 DVD player goes through. Is there any gadjets out there that will convert an optical audio signal to a electrical co-axial signal, therefore allowing me to connect both my x-box and the Panny E55 to my surround sound set up. If not any ideas on how to overcome this problem.

2. I have a Tosh RPTV 42PW23 which accepts component signals. It does not have its own progressive scan mode but i note the Panny E55 gives a progressive pal and NTSC signal. Will my TV be able to take advantage of this progressive signal, ie will i notice an improvement on picture quality over my existing Tosh 330 which does not have a progressive signal but does have component output.

3. How easy is it to convert the Panny to a multi - region machine. My existing Tosh dvd was multi- region out of the box.

4. How cheap are the dvd disks for the Panny ie the DVD-RW disks

5. I have a Humax 800t - would it be quite straight forward to connect to the Panny E55 and record from the hard drive. At present i record from the hard drive on to my video recorder.

6. With the DVD-R disks doe you have to fill the disk up in one go or can you keep on adding programmes to the disk until its full and then finalise it. Will these DVD- R disks play on other DVD players.

Any help would be very appreciated.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,203
    The E55 PQ is probably going to be quite similar to the 330 (I have not compared the two). The prog scan would offer a improvement to PQ but you need to check your TV is compatible (checkout the CRT forum).

Like most DVD players you can buy multi-region versions of the Panasonic E55. Ensure you buy a modded model!

The re-writeable disks used in the E55 are DVD-RAM disks (the machine does not use DVD-RW). These can be purchased for around £15 for a 5 pack.

Yes. Just connect the TV Out on the Humax to AV2 on the E55 and then AV1 to the TV.

You can keep adding stuff to DVD-Rs until they are finalised (or full). However they are quite vulnerable until finalised so it is best to limit handling as much as possible. Once finalised they will play on almost all DVD players.

As for your Question 1 - yes there are workarounds - but I am not an expert on them so cannot really advise.

3. F G Evans

F G Evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.

4. Kasparaitis

Kasparaitis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Take note that the E55 doesn't do RW.

The ram disks it uses don't work in most dvd players or dvd drives on computers.

5. Zedmeister

Zedmeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am in the process of putting together a special forum members deal on Panasonic DVD-RAM 5 packs which will work out cheaper. Basically, a group of friends have teamed up and we are able to get a good discount on these! I have requested that a post be put on the "power buys" page. If in the meantime anyone is interested in some, please let me know.

Regards.