1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice for replacing HI-Fi with separates

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by ads43, Apr 23, 2005.

1. ads43

ads43
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am currently looking to replace my 10 year old Pioneer Dolby Surround Sound Hi-Fi with separates.

I currently play my Panasonic DVD recorder, Freeview and TV through the Hi-Fi.

I am looking to purchase the following

• Amplifier
    • CD Player
    • Tuner (if possible DAB)
    • Turntable

I will use my existing Pioneer Hi-Fi speakers and surround sound speakers.

I have a budget of about £600 with the emphasis on the amplifier and CD player.

Any pointers in the direction of what to buy would be most appreciated.

Thanks

2. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    With your budget, it'd be wise to go second hand with your components, you'll get more for your money and if they're not for you, they can be sold on again with little or no loss.

I've seen Marantz cd67se's for sale at around £50 (for a player that cost 300 when new) and a matching amp for similar.

Dab tuners can be had for around £100.

A Project turntable costs around 120 new with arm and cartridge and will blow away a similarly priced cd player, providing its set up correctly.

You haven't mentioned new speakers - I wouldn't keep the pioneer mains - the surrounds will be fine for pro logic but not dolby digital. I would spend the remainder of your budget on some second kef q series or quad 11L if you can find some.