1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice for Quad speakers please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by krungthep56, Oct 23, 2004.

1. krungthep56

krungthep56

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,

Am looking to purchase Quad speakers for AV purposes, however am confused. Does one pair the
    Quad 11L's + 21L's + Centre and Sub, or
    Quad 12L's + 22L's, + C + S, or could I pair the
    Quad 11L's + 12L's + C + S?
    Any help to sort out confusion appreciated.
    Regds
    HT

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

If i was you i would be looking at say the 12L's for the Left and Right Channels,the Quad Centre and the 11L's for Surround duties.
    They also make a Sub so use that for the LFE.

John :)

3. ssuellid

ssuellid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The Quad L series speaker package that is being sold in the shops/reviewed in mags is made up of 12L fronts, 11L rears + C + S.

But looking at the Quad documentation suggests that any of the L range should go well together.

4. krungthep56

krungthep56

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    There is also presumability the possiblity of C + S + 21L's + 12L's??
    I intend to use them for HT + audio, part of my interest in Quads is that since I live in Asia, can buy them for a v good price :)
    Regds
    HT

5. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes with there range you can mix and match as the speakers are designed to work with each other.
    I would try and get a demo to see what you prefer ;)

6. krungthep56

krungthep56

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi,
    Thanks for suggestions: what I like is that I can add on and upgrade when I am allowed to by "the one who must be obeyed"
    Looks like I'll start with a pair each of 11L's and 12L's plus centre, and then when I receive the next allowance, add a pair of 21L's and change the configuration - does this make sense? Not sure about the sub at this stage, due to costs and the "neighbour factor"
    Can anyone point me to a site/magazine which uses Quad in a 5/7.1 configuration?
    Thanks
    HT

7. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HT i would consider a decent sub as a must in Home Theater as it will give you so much more enjoyment and you would miss out on all the LFE that is present by just useing normal speakers.
    You don't have to get one but believe you me a decent sub can totally change a system.

8. krungthep56

krungthep56

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Recruit,

Thnx for the suggestion- a sub is definitely on the agenda, first part though is to convince majority shareholder (ie the wife) of the need to invest in anything at all - softly softly approach(!)

The major problem I have is that of finding showrooms to demo: I live in Thailand where vendors are few and far between, and crossing the threshold of the shop indicates a serious intent to purchase: looking at equipment cranks the pressure up, and asking to switch on is tantamount to a purchase!!

An example: I recently went into a showrom where they sold Acoustic Energy Evos: I was immediately surrounded by sales staff in at least 5.1 surround mode. I asked for a demo and was 'treated' to 3 minutes of Finding Nemo before it was switched off and I was asked if I wanted to buy - and if not, why not!! - as you can imagine I left:that's why I rely on forums such as this.
    Regards, thnx again for any suggestions, much appreciated.
    HT

9. Dulux

Dulux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Blimey!!!! I'm surprised their still trading.

10. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    The Quads are lovely!

I've just bought the Quad L Centre and should hopefully be buying the 21L's as my fronts.

I already have an SVS PC Ultra subwoofer, so I don't need to go for the L Series sub, and I am MORE than happy with my Mordaunt Short THX Dipole rears, but the front three will all be Quad, hopefully by the end of the week :D

11. krungthep56

krungthep56

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    SOP (standard operating procedure) I'm afraid: shops often have a thick layer of cling film over goods to keep 'the atmosphere' (and grubby fingers) out.
    The cultural mindset is different, and although attitudes are changing, the notion of a 'listening room' is still under development.
    Whenever you buy anything, the shop will always get it out of the box, plug it in and switch on, and then........ you're on your own.
    Cheers
    HT

12. krungthep56

krungthep56

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Kazman,

Thanks for the note, and am very keen to hear how the 21L's fare with the L centre: that's my suggested line-up, or as a less expensive option the 12L's as fronts w 11L's and C.

Any chance of you eventually upgrading he MS rears?

As previously mentioned, I'd be buying practically blind - the dealer doesn't have 12L's in stock - but he can order them!! With that in mid, does anyone have any idea where I can find an on-line review of the Quad L's in a HT setup?

Regds
    HT

13. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    What Hi-Fi gave the Quads speaker package a glowing review this month, and awarded it as the best in its price bracket. This was a system consisting of the 12L's, the 11L's, the L Centre and L Subwoofer.

I doubt I will upgrade my rears for a LONG time, I'm VERY impressed with them, trying to flog my current fronts is proving a nightmare though, never thought I'd have so much difficulty shifting them.

14. Stimpy

Stimpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are Quads still electrostatic speakers???
    If so you will probably need a sub anyway.
    Certainly in the past when quads hit the market they were
    known to be very bass light

15. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quad have brought out a new range of speakers the L range and they are with normal drive units.

www.quad-hifi.co.uk/lseries.htm

They are superb speakers and great value.
    They still make Electrostatic speakers aswell.