Advice for Plasma novice please

lacla_1966

Standard Member
Would appreciate some advice on a plasma TV. In our house we watch a lot of sport through Sky (NOT HD) on our 32" Philips CRT which has 100hz refresh rate and the picture quality is superb for this (No ghosting of ball, players etc). Looking at the PHILIPS 50PFP5532 50" HD ready Digital Plasma TV. Phoned Philips and they said it is 75hz on this model. Will this make a noticable difference? The 50" says - Response time (typical): 3" ms

What is best, 100hz or the 3ms response time? Do they mean the same thing (ie refresh rate of picture)? Would the picture have a trailing ball behind it or is 3ms response time very quick?

We would be viewing TV from 11 feet.

Any advice on this would be much appreciated as the offer of £899 online for this and a Home Cinema ends tomorrow.

choddo2006

Distinguished Member
Neither of them really mean much at all. Plasmas refresh very fast anyhow. The picture shouldn't have a trailing ball behind it. Why don't you go & take a look in a shop? There's another thread on the 5532 with people recommending it.

CHFels

What Choddo said. Get a demo with some football, in a shop, or bring a DVD with some well-recorded football footage on it. Don't dismiss the Philips just because all the talk on here is of Panasonic, Samsung and Pioneer! These forums have their own dynamics . . .

CHFels

Inactive

I went from a JVC 100hz CRT to a Philips 42" Plasma, I would say that the Philips is on a par with the JVC for picture quality, I havn't seen any ghosting whatsoever, sound quality is better.

No experience of the 50" i'm afraid.

I hope this may help.;)

jetinder

A 50inch Philips plasma for £999 + free home cinema kit is a bargain, goto currys with a football DVD and see how good it looks and then decide.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom