1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice for novice reg. camcorders

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by kumar, Jun 23, 2004.

1. kumar

kumar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I plan to buy a sony camcorder. I am looking for a piece which shoots nicely in low lighting conditions and good quality movies. went through lot of reviews but totally confused. looks like TRV 80 might be a ideal one. is it good? is there a disadvantage of buying a discontinued model?

thanks in advance for your thoughts

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Hi kumar & welcome to the forum :hiya:

The only disadvantage I see of getting a discontinued model is that it will be missing some of the whistles & bells of the new models. IMO things like Blue Tooth and USB streaming etc are not required on a camcorder and would therefore not persuade me to buy the new models. Also a lot of people on these forums have said that the PQ of the newer models are not as good - so an old model may actually be better. Also you should be able to get it for a better price.

What is your budget and what will you be useing the cam for? With these questions answered some others may be able to suggest other cams to take a look at.

Mark.

3. shorty

shorty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi pplz I'm a newbie at this as well...
    just grad from an institute that taught us how to appreciate a good film but never how to actually hold a camera or wat to do wif it!!!
    so here I am wif a head thats bursting wif ideas wif little skills. I've saved up a considerable amount of money so would like a decent camera that's easy to use but will achieve the quality I'd like.

My concern is the amount of footage a camera can hold...I know it sounds like a stupid Q... but I want a camera that will enable me to take a decent amount of footage whilst being able to edit the footage on my pc.

4. w4yne

w4yne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

....... But not how to spell by the seems of it :laugh: ,

The amount of footage you can store will be detemined by the length of tape and if the camera is set on standard or long play or size of memory card ( mainly used for photos ).

5. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Shorty and welcome

You haven't told us what sort of camera you are thinking of getting but if you mean a mini DV then the standard tape running at normal speed will hold 1 hour of video - you can also get 80 minute tapes, if you run those at long play (not really recommended for high quality work) you can get 90 minutes and 2 hours respectively. The tapes are relatively cheap and very quick and easy to change and are very small so it's very easy to carry tapes with you and pop them in your camera in a matter of minutes - so you shouldn't need to worry about how long you can record in a camcorder..

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    As Beejaycee said, you just need to carry a few spare tapes with you. DV tapes can now be bought for around £3-4 each, so spares wont break the bank.
    Your next problem is with editing as DV footage will eat disk space. You will need approx 14Gb of space for every 1 hour DV tape you capture to the PC. Then you will need around the same amount of space again for editing and file conversion etc. But yet again HDD's are now fairly cheap with 200Gb drives costing well under £100.

Mark.

7. w4yne

w4yne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Aldi will be selling a Samsung 160 GB for £69.99 drive from July 1st

http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/product_273.html