1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice for novice- connections to/from denon 3803

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by s1mmo, May 16, 2005.

Tags:
  1. s1mmo

s1mmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Philips PW9618 (2 RGB Scarts), DVD Player with component output, Video Player (never used) & PS2.

I currently have all these directly connected to a Denon 3803 reciever/amp.

They are all running on S-Video at the moment because I was told by a certain av expert many moons ago that it would be a lot easier/cheaper to do this. Is this still the case or is there now a more affordable method of connecting this kit to get an optimum performance. Obviously I would like to utilise the RGB/Component facilities available.

I’m also just about to buy the Hitachi 32LD7200 and want to have it all set-up properly so I can just switch connection from my TV when it arrives…

Thanks for any help in advance !!!

2. Kobus

Kobus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your AV expert was correct in that the S-video was easiest and cheapest.
    Component will give a superior picture, but I think you knew the answer.

3. s1mmo

s1mmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah I appreciate that but I dont wantto just settle for S-Video any more..

Whats the point in spending lots of money on kit only to down-grade it with inferior connections ??

I do not mind spending the money if it going to be worthwhile..

and the advice given was around 18 months ago, so I guess the gadgets have moved on in that time too..

Cheers

4. Andy_Lee

Andy_Lee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know it's more convenient but in terms of PQ alone you are better off connecting everything direct to the screen via the best connection available to you for each device. Component for your DVD unless it has DVI or HDMI, S Vid for the PS 2 unless that has component (I don't own a games machine so I really don't know what connectivity they offer) and at a guess stick with the S-Video for the VHS. However the Screen your buying may only have one SVid connection like mine so you may have to stay with routing the PS2 and the VHS via the Amp. IF that is the case then connect the Amp to the Screen via component as well as the DVD.

5. s1mmo

s1mmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Andy
    I'll have a play with it and see what the outcome is...