• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Advice for new satellite setup please

conan

Established Member
Hi, I'm planning to get a Sat and decoder with the aim of getting the Freesat channels only. I'm not interested in getting any subscription channels as I cover that through my VM cable. However, due to VM only having the 1 HD channel I want to add more HD content to my viewing.

I have never been a Sky subscriber, and never had any involvement with satellites at all so just wanted a little advice on setting up, and whether to do it myself or get an installer in.

My thoughts/plans so far, buy a Sat, buy a Decoder, buy some Sat cable, mount the Sat on the wall, find the best place to point it for the Astra 2 (was gonna copy next door's sky), then run the cable from the sat to the decoder box (was thinking Humax).

So, is it really that simple, or are there other things I need to take into consideration? Thanks for any advice or tips given. My main unknown is actually which dish to buy, or take the used Sky dish I have been offered from a friend.

D

diy_sham

basically thats all you need. depending on the size of the dish, u may need one of those satellite signal metre readers which will help u point the dish and lnb in the right place.

to be honest, i have a Fox Sat Passion + HD hooked up to my hd projector, and football on ITV HD looks amazing, like really AMAZING, but other than that there isnt much broadcast. john ross show on bbc hd is worth a watch, but at the mo you can't get any other decent watchable channels (luxe hd is ok, no real programs on there tho)

if your interested in purchasing my passion + box let me know, will be coming to sell it in a week or so as im moving out.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom