1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice for new member

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Philtrum, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Philtrum

Philtrum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Im in a bit of a pickle, I had a Samsung PS42D4SXX and it was making a buzzing noise (way too loud to be right) and Comet (I know ... should have gone to a proper shop) have now agreed to replace the plasma screen

they have given me the choice of going for the same one or changing it for an alternative one at the same price (doubt they would go to a refund)

the options that I have are as follows (for less than £1800)

JVC PD42B50BJ
    Philips 42PF9946 (with free DVD recorder)
    Samsung PS42D4SXX (free glass stand)

there are a couple of 32" options

I have a Sony DAV-SR1 surround setup, NTL, Video and I will be ditching NTL and plugging a freeview box up to it in the near future (fedup of the lip sync issues)

the Samsung was ok, but suffered from banding and some pixelation on gradiented colours, also lip sync issues with NTL (sound was ahead by 1/4 sec)

I want something with the best picture quality that I can get and not worried about the speakers (prefer detachable) as the AV kit is always on ;)

any opinions, other recommendations (cost prohibitve) etc are welcome as this time I want to get it right

cheers
    Phil

2. JohnCCFC

JohnCCFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I had a samsung D4 and I can't recommend highly enough that you avoid it.

Try to hardest to get a refund, there are then many options open to you.

3. EN

EN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will take JVC, nice screen, good colour, much detail connected via PS component.
    A little soft via RGB scart.
    Don't buy Samsung, very unnatural picture with a lot of artefacts (like Philips).
    As many forum members will tell you - take a look on Panasonic 42PW7.
    But I personally prefer picture of SONY plasma displays.

4. jaguar

jaguar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Philips 46 is not rated very well over here in the Netherlands. On consumer surveys it only scores a 5 when it comes to picture quality.

The JVC scores much higher.

5. DOCTOR_d

DOCTOR_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  6. Ross-P

Ross-P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I'd go ahead with DOCTOR_d says the LG is alot better for the money I saw the Samsung with The Incredibles running on it even that didn't look good!

7. Philtrum

Philtrum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

thanks for the advice, I've managed to twist the arm of currys and will be getting a refund tomorrow (shop had closed by the time we had finished "discussing" it)

I have decided to save a bit extra for a couple of months and then go to a proper shop after some advice and reading on here, RicherSounds is the only one I know of in the midland thats near, and they seem to know what they are on about, they odly recommended the panny PW7 too ! ... must be a good panel

I've read on here that there are some new panels due to come out in the next couple of months so fingers crossed I'll have enough cash for one of the High Def ones

Nice to find a forum where you can get an answer to a question without all the newbie slating ... nice one

cheers and thanks again

Phil

8. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    You have had a narrow escape from a potential disaster! Good to hear that you got a refund. A proper demo is available here (see my sig below), and local by the sound of it.