Advice for new amp required :)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by agroupuk, Dec 31, 2006.

1. agroupuk

agroupuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks,

Starting to get awfully confusing now with all these hdmi equiped bits of kit cluttering my house..

So, I am looking to upgrade my pretty standard cambridge audio av amp for something I can plug everything into.

I need to be able to connect my Wii (composite), My XBOX360(composite or hdmi) my SKY HD (HDMI) and my hd dvd player (composite?)
    These all have to go into my 56" Sagem HDTV via either DVI or composite or both.

So I think I need a decent switching amp with at least 2 compsoites and 2 hdmi in's. One HDMI out and one composite out.

Any suggestions folks?

I dont want to spend the earth but upto 500/600 quid is fine.

Any help apreciated.

Cheers

Agroupuk

2. jezzer256

jezzer256

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    The Sony 1200ES would be a good choice. This has everything you require, although I hope you won't be running an HD DVD player through coposite! This will also be HDMI, meaning you will need 3 HDMI inputs...

This is a tricky one, but I would suggest running your 360 through component (if this is possible) then still buying something like the 1200ES. Other HDMI amps could include the Denon 2307 or 2807, or I think Yamaha do some as well.

Jez

3. agroupuk

agroupuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi and thanks - i should have said - i will be dumping the quasi hd dvd player (I think it just scales up...) with an XBOX dvd drive.....

I will go take a look at the sony - any other suggestions?

And thanks :)

4. jezzer256

jezzer256

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Hi

Just to clear things up, when you said an HD DVD player I think you meant an upscaling DVD player. This plays normal DVDs, but upscales them to an HD resolution. The addon for the Xbox that you describe is different in that it plays HD-DVDs rather than DVDs. These are different things, and are relatively new.

Jez

5. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    The Sony 1200ES will upconvert from composite to component so you could run one component cable from the receiver to the TV and connect the Sky HD directly to the TV via HMDI (or HDMI-DVI cable). No need to connect HDMI to the receiver if you only have one HDMI source! If you wanted to connect one cable to the TV (HDMI) and connect all sources to the AV receiver, then you are looking at a receiver that will upconvert all sources to HDMI (most cheaper HDMI AV receivers simply either switch HDMI sources or upconvert from component only which wouldn't help you with the Wii which is composite (I think)). Have a look at the Pioneer VSX-AX4ASi which is a not bad price. The Sony 3200ES might upconvert all sources to HDMI but I couldn't tell from the specs on the web.

6. MSW

MSW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Cambridge Audio 640r full spec on website not due until late Jan early Feb price approx £500 - £600

7. lazymatt

lazymatt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Dump the composite cables and get componant for a start.

The 360 does not have HDMI at the moment, so you're limited to componant or VGA (and if you use VGA it'll upscale your DVD's anyway).

You've not given the model no of your telly, but, you could have:

Wii - Componant
    Sky - HDMI (with a DVI adapter)
    360 - VGA (if you've got the input on your telly)

No need to go through a seperate amp at all.

8. sdb123

sdb123
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,252
    I think the OP may mean Component instead of Composite. ;)