1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice for my samung PS42S5HX plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by leebopp, Sep 22, 2005.

1. leebopp

leebopp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1st of Hello to you all :thumbsup:

Bought the Samsung PS42S5HX at the weekend and am experiencing a few niggles. I hope you can help :lease:

I currently have the old style Sky+ box connected via an even older bog standard scart lead. The picture is fantastic on cartoons and slow moving newer programs, such as Sky Sports News etc. But on UKGold the picture becomes all pixally. This happens when watching the footy and on some news channels. DVD quality is pretty good but ive not really tested it properly.

Ive read other posts but the techi jargen loses me every time. Can anyone suggest a decent setting (brightness,contrast etc)? Its pretty bright at the moment!!!!

Should I invest in a new scart? Would it make that much difference?

The set is HD ready, so can I use this and if so how?

Sky+160 is coming in a week. Will this help?

Many thanks. Lee.

2. UKseless1

UKseless1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    leebopp - Welcome to the Forum :hiya:

Yes it's a good idea to invest in a good quality scart cable. Nothing too expensive mind but something at least better than a £5 job. I think a lot of folks here find the Thor cables available from places like B&Q at approx. £20-£25 are ok.

With regards UKGold, well I'm not sure many people get a really brilliant picture when viewing that channell, but it should not be too badly pixellated. I believe it is down to the bitrates that the various channels are broadcast in, I think you might find that UK Gold may have a lower bitrate.

You can't do much with the HD side of things until Sky decide to provide us with some content. There is some discussion about High Definition ready sets not displaying Standard Definition content too well (add together bitrate and handling of SD content......) I've seen some posts which point to the Samsung being rather weak on SD content but being really good with HD.

Also there's a huge thread on here in which the other Samsung owners discuss what suites their sets best etc. You might find some good guidance there about the best settings.

3. UKseless1

UKseless1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
  4. leebopp

leebopp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It looks like its going back to the retailer. A 1950 black n white box would produce better picture quality. People look like lego men and football has become a 22 a side game!

Terrible

on to the next purchase...............

5. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I were you I'd buy a differnt model of plasma. Cheap ones produce notoriously bad results. Its a shame when you consider how much you pay for them. Even £100 cables wont fix that.

How much do you have to spend on a new set?