Advice for mounting TV on metal stud wall

richardgregory

Standard Member
Hello All.

Was all set to mount my TV to my stud wall at the weekend when I discovered that the studs were metal and not wood. Before I go any further could you please advise on the following:

1. Best way to drill through the metal studs - low speed drill & small pilot hole?

2. Best way of fixing to the studs - I'd bought some 'togglers for fixing to the plasterboard, would these be suitable?

3. The only suitable stud to fix to is a horizontal one - is this ok if I attach the top of the bracket to this and the bottom directly to the plasterboard?

TV is 42" plasma weighing 27kg, all help much appreciated!

Dan666

Standard Member
I've hung a 50" plasma from a plasterboard wall with metal studwork. Been up there two years now with no problems.

My studwork is vertical though - I've used 4 large toggles through the studs, then a few smaller hollow wall anchors (the kind that have a sheath which splays out upon tightening, gripping the wall from behind) on the plasterboard itself.

When you say you have a horizontal stud, does this span two vertical studs and is securely fixed to them? If so, you should be fine with the method you've mentioned.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom