Advice for HDD Media player and recorder

nervusvagus

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, greetings from Istanbul.

I make recordings from Digital Cable HD PVR box into DVD using a Sony RDR-HX680 dvd player hdd device. I have around 70 dvd's now and I'd like to stop recording dvd's in this method and transfer all dvd's I have to an HDD player and play them from the device.

As far as I see the top device on the market these days is Dune Hd Max. With a 2TB hard disk drive and the Digital TV USB dongle(though im not sure what this does) it seems good but I'm not experienced at all with digital media players.

I'm looking for an easy to use HDD media player and media recorder with
  • a good and intuitive menu system
  • Able to play raw dvd files, divx, xvid and such with subtitles
  • able to record live feed from tv or played back video form PVR, maybe scheduled recording.
  • Preferably supporting Turkish in menu system and displays but not necessary.

Price is not important. Connections can be any I guess.

The Digital Cable PVR box I have, has the following specs:
DVB-S ve DVB-S2 support
DiseqC 1.2 compatible
950MHz – 2150MHz frequency
Graphic Systems:
MPEG2 DVB MP@ML (SD)
MPEG2 DVB MP@HL (HD)
MPEG4 AVC MP@L3 (H264 SD)
MPEG4 AVC [email protected] (H264 HD)
MPEG4 AVC [email protected] (H264 HD)
4:3, 16:9, Pan & Scan, Letterbox

External Connections:
RCA composite
2 Scart, (1 with RGB support)
3 F-Type, IEC 169-24, female
S / PDIF digital sound
HDMI out (with HDCP support)
Y, Pr, Pb out (CGMS-A support)
Ethernet socket (not used for anything yet)
USB 2.0 (not used for anything yet)

Dune's DVB is of the DVB-T type unless I'm mistaken and yours is of the DVB-S type, I don't know of any network media players with DVB-S support. I think Tvix used to have DVB-S adapter but long ago for older players, I don't see anything on their site now.

If your after an all in one device with Blu-ray, HD PVR, network media player you might want to take a look at LG Turkey and see if they have any plans on a variant of the LG HR600 player which is DVB-T2 based for the UK, LG have decent codec/subtitle support but they also support samba/cifs network shares unlike most other big name vendors so that's major plus not being stuck with DLNA.

As next010 has said the Dune media players do work with a DVB-T USB tuner. But DVB-T is received via a TV aerial and not via a cable box etc. In the UK our DVB-T service is Freeview, but Virgin Media cable services or Sky/Freesat etc can not be received with this tuner.
The Digital Cable PVR box I have, has the following specs:
DVB-S ve DVB-S2 support
You state that you have a cable box and then state it has DVB-S tuner. A cable box would have a DVB-C tuner as DVB-S is a satellite tuner.

Mark.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, the service I have is Digiturk which is a satellite service not cable. Some of the technical details are listed here but I guess it does not support DVB-T.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom