Advice for HD PVR on free to air satellite.

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Golaboots888, Jun 16, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Golaboots888

Golaboots888
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I've currently got Freesat from Sky, the £20 card that goes in an old sky box. This is the case as there was no aerial on the property when I bought it but there was (and is) a dual LNB sky dish.

I'm looking to get a PVR and might as well get a HD one. What would you recommend? I understand there is the Humax Freesat one but at £270 or so its a bit steep.

I've seen a few maplin satellite receivers badged as being HD and some with built in harddrive PVR functionality, others with usb harddrive support (which is arguably better.)

Would I still get comparible channels as the sky freesat service? If I take the card out of mine I get everything but channel 5 or so it seems.
    I've heard that sometimes the EPG is only now and next also.

So in summary what is a good box to get and will it do as I'm hoping?

Thanks for reading.

2. CanaryPhil

CanaryPhil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi GolaBoots888, In your shoes, I would plump for the Humax HDR - available from Richer Sounds at the moment for about £250. The only problems with the Maplin FTA boxes is that there is only Now & Next EPG info - although I have heard that one of the Fortec Star boxes can have a firmware patch to use the freesat EPG. Also the HDR is very simple to operate.

3. swedish cook

swedish cook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Fortec Star Passion+ box is £160 (Maplin), only 1 tuner (poor) and needs a USB hard disk for recording. Compared to that the HDR is great value !

You're also unlikely to see the iplayer and interactive functionality on the Fortec Star.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009