1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice for evaluating Sony G70

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by davevr, Jun 12, 2003.

1. davevr

davevr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I have a line on some used Sony VPH-G70Q projectors. They are not installed right now, but the owner has agreed to bring them to my house to try them out for a week before making a decision. Given that I am not going to ceiling mount them in that timeframe, I am wondering how to best make use of that time. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also, can anyone recommend a good place I could order replacement tubes from, should that be necessary?

Thanks!

- davevr

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    G70 is a lovely projector though a bit noiser than its rivals with the exception of Electrohome.
    You need to feed this type of projector with a proper high resolution siganla from a scaller or Home Theatre PC. Nothing less than line doubled.

I've had a number of machines through and two have had the same faults where proper grayscale ws not achivable due to a failed sub board (replacment about £60) check that the projector can do proper low end range in all colours.

Sony colours IMHO are more pressed towards video than film. HDTV looks fantastic but DVD scalled properly never sits quite right for me with the colours looking a bit strange.

There is some talk at the moment of early tube failures with rebuilt (VDC) units So I would stick with the genuine artical. Replacements are about £1000 each.

3. davevr

davevr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got the projectors set up - wow, even with basic calibration they look really good. Perfect geometry and even color. They each have about 3000 hours on them, but the CRTs look clear and free from burn-in. I have them projecting on a 120" screen and they are looking pretty good. They are so cheap (3000 yuan, about $360) that I think I am just going to get both of them and keep one in storage in case I need spare parts.

Now I just need to get a home theater PC... It is going to be strange to spend more on a video card than I did on the projectors...

If anyone has tricks or tips for these beasts, let me know.

- davevr

4. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    keep powering up the spare every so often projectors hate being left on the self.

5. davevr

davevr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did not know this... How often should they be turned on? And for how long?

6. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Minimum of once a month for at least 10mins.

Unless the capacitors are charged regularly they will dry out or loose thier efficentcy.

Low run time projectors after about three years old are not always good news.

7. matrixdirect

matrixdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi do you have any extra replacement lamps for g70q? thomas