1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

advice for buying new camcorder pls

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by numptie, Mar 9, 2005.

1. numptie

numptie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all. I need help buying a new camcorder. The web and reviews and mags all seem to have tons of technostuff i just don't get, or can't follow.

I had a silver Sony camcorder, possibly handycam. It had "Mini DV" tapes and as i have loads of these, i need that format again, with wires for plugging into the telly. It had the ability to take digital still pix but i never ever used that, and don't need it.

I don't need monster amazing resolution, provided it's as good as the last machine praps bout five years old now. Any idea of the resolution of the old machine? It had a little flipout viewing screen which was quite good.

I WOULD like it to be very superlightweight if poss, but if i need a bigger hand-sized one, i spose it will have to do.

Ah yes, so what's wrong with our current Sony camcorder eh? Well, almost every time i used it, the battery went dead. The battery seemed to use
    up v fast, and then the battery went dead at the start of every hol. Grr. So, okay, i lost my rag with the thing and smashed it, and what with it not being whammed-at-concrete-pavement resistant, it's utterly utterly busted. Yep, my fault and i'm sorry. Sorry sorry sorry. Yes, it had another battery, yes i tried different batteries, but too late it's busted now, so hence i need a new one with a longerlasting battery. Anyway, people with fairly old cameras look a bit old dufferish, don't they? Or praps that's me trying to feel better about busting a perfectly good camcorder...

So
    1 Any idea what the old camera resolution was in megapixels? (warning: this is the only technoword i understand so pls go easy on me)

2 what should i buy? I don't much care how much it costs cos my actual hobby is boats where everything costs tons more than cameras or tellies, and even the boats have tellies as well, and they break too and without me having to smashem...

thanks if you can help

matt

2. Billy Hunt

Billy Hunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I've been looking at a few reviews myself I'm currently undecided between the Panasonic PV-GS400 or the Sony DCR-PC350 you couldn't go far wrong with either.
    The Panasonic is around a couple of hundred pound more than the the Sony but seems to be well worth it, I just don't know if I'd be better off with the smaller size of the Sony though :cool:
    The next step for me is to try them out and to see which type I prefer, but I've been struggling to get my hands on either they don't have them in comet currys or dixons so I guess it's a trip to Jessops.

3. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Make sure you get some prices off the internet before you go to Jessops. If you decide what you like, Jessops will usually match (or come very close to) internet prices, provided the internet shop is UK based.

My personal preferance, like lots of other people on this forum, is for Sony camcorders, although I can't comment on either of these specific models.

4. Billy Hunt

Billy Hunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Thanks for the advice melliott I wasn't going to buy from jessops the last time I looked the gs400 was something like £1300 but I've seen it online for £850 thats a big difference.
    I originally was going to go for the Sony it does sound very good but the more I read about the panasonic the more I think I should get that.

5. Mattyboy_W

Mattyboy_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Another one to consider is the Sony HC90E particularly if you have a widescreen telly. It records in widescreen, is small and easy to use.

6. Timse1981

Timse1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. Billy Hunt

Billy Hunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    It does have DV in Tim http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wc...PV-GS400&surfCategory=3CCD Digital Camcorders

One feature I quite like the idea of is the ability to pass an analog feed straight through onto your computer with out having to put it onto the Panasonics DV tape first, can this feature be found on cheaper models?
    This will come in very handy as I currently have an old analog camcorder with a few full tapes.

Here's another review http://www.dvspot.com/reviews/panasonic/pv_gs400-review/index.shtml

I'll be getting it from ebuyer at nice price of £850 inc vat
    Before anybody warns me about buying from ebuyer I've been buying from them for the past 4 years.

8. Billy Hunt

Billy Hunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I've found the Panasonic PV-GS400 for £775 inc vat from easygadget.co.uk Has anybody purchased anything from them before their prices look pretty good and they give a 18 month warranty on everything.

9. Timse1981

Timse1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok thanks.

Tim

10. paragsatyal

paragsatyal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    most sony handycams (dcr-hc30 and upwards atleast) are very small and lightweight, tho i don't have much idea about panasonic or jvc.

11. Billy Hunt

Billy Hunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I eventually got my GS400 and I'm more than pleased with it.
    attached is a Video capture.
    I haven't had chance to do much with it yet

Attached Files: