1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice for building a nice surround sound system for bedroom

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Viperstrike06, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Viperstrike06

Viperstrike06

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    New poster, I figured this would be a good place to ask seeing as no one has helped. I'm getting a job soon and I figure a nice investment for myself is an amazing surround sound system. My price limit would be between 600-700. This of course, would be put together piece by piece, being a Frankenstein until finally completed.

I hear Home Theaters in a box are okay for their purpose, but I don't want that effect. I'm an avid videogamer, and enjoy many audio intensive movies. For now I have a Sony MHC-GX45 bookshelf system. I know Sony gets a bad rep for the most part on audio/videophile sites, and just people in general. Overall, I can't complain with the sound quality. I just need more. So what I ask for, is reccomendations for the following

receiver
    center(s)*don't need 6.1 or 7.1 just yet*
    front speakers
    surround
    sub

Brands and websites. If at all possible, try to keep them to stores I can go to and try out the different models. Best Buy, Circuit City, and if anyone around Akron, Ohio knows of nice shops with good prices, let me know.

I hear JBL, Infinity, and Polk make nice speakers. If you have any other brands, let me hear them.

I'd like the receiver to have HDTV pass through, and settings for room dimensions, since my couch/bed isn't in the middle of the room, and that's where I play and watch movies. Power, anything that would be loud enough for 12x12 room, that's in the basement.

Sorry for the long post, I'm just trying to be specific as possible so I get as much help as possible, and to cut down on questions you guys need to ask.