1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice for Beginner

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by bobbinboy, Jul 8, 2004.

1. bobbinboy

Standard Member

Jul 8, 2004
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    O.K. so I am looking to get my first A/V amp and I have read around the forum and it seems that a low end Denon/Marantz/Sony maybe the place to start. I listen to plenty of movies but still through the TV so I want to upgrade to an A/V amp to improve things.

However I am not yet in a position to have any rear speakers due to the layout of my lounge so is it worth going down the A/V route? Can you still get improved sound using just 2 channel using an amp?

I have some floorstanding Mission 702 speakers to go with my Sony AMP and CD player so could I use these as the front speakers? and will they sound o.k. when used with say for example the Sony DB790?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
  2. roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Hi Bobbinboy

I used a high end two channel system for about two years with excellent results for DVD.

In my own personal and humble opinion (did working for TAG McLaren Audio give me credibility? dunno...) I would suggest the first thing you buy is a subwoofer (after a good DVD player).

This will add a bit of clout to your system and can be easily connected -

The speaker connections from you amp connect to the subwoofer's high level inputs which in turn has connections for your speakers.

Richer Sounds seem to have some good subs and the staff are knowledgable enough to show you how to connect and select the right model.

Hope this helps.