Advice for attaching ceiling speakers - brackets missing

Blagmeister

Hi there.

My home cinema project is taking shape as I write (exciting) but I have run into a bit of an issue. I have picked up almost everything second-hand for budget and have four Kef Ci200QR in-ceiling speakers that I picked up off eBay. Unfortunately, the clamping brackets have not been supplied - I presume they were broken off when removed from the previous installation. I have contacted the seller - but no response as it's been a while since I purchased. I have also contacted Kef but the lovely lady was unable to help me as my models are the originals from way back (1998) and she thought the brackets for the current model would not fit.

The builder has suggested that we drill screws into the bezel of the speakers to attach to the plasterboard - the downside is that it will damage the bezel, speakers and will have a visible screw (which will can paint over).

He also suggested we additionally use glue to fix it to the ceiling as he is concerned the screws might not be enough. The downside here is that if I were ever to remove or replace it would damage the ceiling.

It's a shame as with the brackets it would have been a very simple install. Before we commit to these permanent solutions does anyone have any clever other ideas? I'm not expecting any but he's given me the chance to explore other options before we go ahead.

IMG_1180.JPEG
IMG_1182.JPEG
IMG_1183.jpeg

kevin7sub

Search " air valve fixing rings " and you should be greeted with the solution developed for fixing circular ceiling ducts to suspended ceiling tiles. Pretty sure these will work for you, you will just need to source the correct diameter.

Blagmeister

Thanks for suggestion. Builder looked at it but thinks I’d the ring was big enough for the speakers we wouldn’t be able to get it the hole. Sorry, I haven’t explained that very well but he was sure. So still looking at screws and glue.

kevin7sub

Of course yeah! Didn't even think of that 🤦. I suppose you could try cutting the rings in half, putting each half in and gluing them to the inside of the ceiling? Might work 🤷

Blagmeister

Hmm. Yes I’m with you. Will suggest!

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom