1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice for a videophile

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Mr.D, Jul 1, 2001.

1. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    OK I'm very into my images. So much so that if I see anything mucking about with the picture it gets in the way of me enjoying the viewing experience.

Problem: I want to get rid of the percievable interlace and 3:2 pulldown artifacts of my fairly lowly set-up ( Panasonic TX32PK1) ( aversion to 100Hz pervents larger set)

So I'm looking at a prog scan source ie: HTPC feeding a progscan display ie: projector.

However the Barco 800 gracing my living room ( hiding under a table) has met with such wife generated antipathy I'm selling it on.

If I thought I could live with an LCD projector I'd have one. Likewise DLP. Likewise plasma ( yuck! scratch that last one)

At the end of the day I sort of resent paying around 5grand for theoretically a DLP/LCD job that gives less performance than a 3grand refurbished CRT ( or sub 1grande barco800 for that matter).

Apart from that I strongly suspect the less than pristine intensity and colour response from the newer technologies would seriously annoy me.( I won't even start on gamma and colour temperature). At the end of the day I'm prepared to accept that whatever solution will appear softer and clipped in comparrison to 35mm film by nature of its video res roots... and thats it... no more compromise.

So suggestions....
    At the moment I am even considering a Princeton or barco hi-res 16x9 monitor fed by HTPC as long as its a tad larger than 32"

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Mr D, you could always go for the lovely Loewe Aconda with it's superb 848x480 progressive scan input.

Sorry couldn't resist :D

It would seem that projector wise the Sim2 HT200DM might be the beasty to go for if CRT isn't really an option, but it is a lot of money. I'm looking forward to the event so that I can see this stuff in action.

Jeff

3. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,195
    Keith,

What about using a High Res RPTV. I used to be the proud owner of a Pioneer 50" W/S RPTV.

It was the best monitor going 4 years ago when i had mine, and the pictures where brilliant! I wish i still had it, but moving house put paid to it, so it was sold to a bar.

Have you looked at this route? Although it will be nowhere near as good as the Barco, I'm sure with your know how you could get a Pioneer for about £2500 (mines cost £4000 4 yrs ago) and i am positive it can be fed a prog scan picture.

Just a thought for you, The new Sim Ht200dm looks like giving better performance than the entry model and may even be worth a look.
    Expensive though.

(PS. I'll mail later this week with confirmation on dates, just waiting for my mate getting back to me)

Phil.

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    phil

I've yet to see a large screen TV that doesn't have 100Hz or other picture processing that creates visible nastiness. I'd rather watch a normal 50Hz TV and live with expected artifacts that are a limitation of the interlaced system. Thats the main reason that I didn't go the large screen RPTV route years ago.

The HT200DM might be more suitable
    than the currently available other non CRT units. I kinda resent spending 5grand on a DLP unit when I could get a nice 808 CRT for less but it might well have to be one of these beasties. I think I'll be giving chris a call fairly soon for the skinny! I do suspect it will be a better bet than the new sony VPL11HT which is really the only other route going non-crt.

I was also toying with the idea of picking up one of the many second hand VPL400Q s ((???) living with that for a year and seeing if that made the move to a DLP or better LCD less painful: but I think I detect a note of desperation here!

I must admit though I do sort of like the idea of a princeton hi-def CRT monitor. I'd be able to fiddle the colour temp and gamma to my hearts content judging by the easily accessable picture controls. Bit on the small side though!

I suppose what I'm after is a unit the size of the sim2 with the performance and price tag of a refurbished barco 808: which I suspect might not exist but if anyone knows differently shout it out.

5. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,195
    Keith,

How far are Zebra from you? I know that they buy RPTV's from manufacturers and tweek them to get the best out of them. I very nearly bought a Pioneer rptv from them, but the extra price on top made me think again.(as far as i can remember the Pioneer didn't have 100hz)

I really feel sorry for you in your search for video nirvana. When i saw the original HT200 the picture was very crt like with brilliant blacks. It was just the annoying bloody rainbow effect (and high price) that put me off. It looks like the DM model gets rid of one problem (Rainbow effect) and if the picture is as good, i really think this could be the one for you (at a price).

I hope you just dont drive yourself crazy in your search. :rolleyes:

6. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mr D,
    I sympathize with you. Its a tough one. The Barco's are huge, I have one lurking over my head most nights. Maybe your wife might consider another far smaller projector like the Dwin HD700. They are around half the size and weight(around 65 lbs) of the Barcos and give a truly great image. I've seen a couple in action in the states and I think its one of the best 7 inch CRT's on the market.
    Best Wishes
    Eric

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Mr D.

It's a problem isn't it. Our standards are too high!

I would say this though. SIM2 look to me like they've spent a lot of energy sorting out the rainbow problem and getting the HT200DM as close to SMPTE primary co-ordinates as poss. Certainly in our shop I think I could get a superior colour rendition from the HT200DM than our old Sony1251Q data projector. Picture structure is less obvious with the CRT when used with a quality scaler but then it's nowhere near as bright.....

Horses for courses.

I think that you may find the new SIM2 gets closer to your standards than any other fixed panel device you've seen. Whether it's close enough is another question though!

Gordon

8. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Mr D

I too sympathize with you. I don't think anyone would argue with the fact that you just won't get the same type of picture at any price. Could you just not build a very nice wife friendly cabinate, or maybee conceal the projector in a ceiling box, the way some people do? I just don't notice the 808 hanging from the ceiling anymore. At first it seemed huge, but after giving it a lick of paint to tone in with the room, its as though its not there. Sound daft but its true. If you're going to ceiling mount, you might as well have a good, although bigger unit up there than to compromise on quality. Either way you still have a projector on your ceiling.

Regards Rob. :rolleyes:

9. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,195
    Rob,
    Dont encourage him! It's a done deal The Barco has a new home! ;) ;) :D(my ceiling :) )

Seriously though, it's a tough one Keith, but go see the Sim2 DM, it might be just the compromise you are looking for!

Phil ;) :p

10. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Thanks guys I think I'm going to delay my projector purchase. I'm not convinced I'll be happy with anything other than a graphics/data grade CRT. I will take a look at the Sim2 DM and the VPL11HT at some point though.

I've got a fair old amount of contacts in the states so I may look into a Dwin type solution .

Thanks