Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Advice for a newbie

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by The Mole, May 17, 2003.

1. The Mole

The Mole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm interested in getting a Barcographics 800 projector on sale locally for playing DVDs and games. I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice, such as availability and price of tubes in the uk, rough price I should expect to pay for the proj (apparently has low hours on the tubes) and any massive problems with the projector as a whole.

I am a student so can't really afford to spend loads of money on something that requires loads of maintenence, so if theres anything that needs checking (apart from the wear on the CRTs) I would be grateful if anyone can give me hints :).

Thanks in advance,

Phil

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Phil
    the Barco 800/801 would make an excelent first projector.

Like any piece of kit that is 10years old you have to tread carefully.
    There were no major defects in these machines with the exception of the powersupply which can suffer from dry joints and week capacitors.

VDC are experimenting with rebuilding these CRT tubes so a replacements is getting down to the £400 mark as apposed to the £900 for a new one.
    In my experience (having replaced close on 500 CRT's) tubes don't fail they just wear away.

I'm always suspicious of low hour old machines prefering a projector that has been used and seen at least a 1000 hrs a year. Anything else has probably spent its life in a store room or someones garage.

Price is difficult one as I sell and install these chaps for a living. the Sony 127* and Barco 800/801 range has taken a bit of a hammering in the last few months and you should expect to pay about £1000 for a pristine projector with good tubes and a garentee.

3. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    And just what is wrong with a CRT in the Garage! ;)

Steve