1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

advice for a newbie

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by pilot, Jul 28, 2002.

1. pilot

pilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have a pair of KEF Q1's. I want to buy a CD player and an amp which I can use with these. I have a rough budget of £500-£600 for the amp and the cd player. Any recommendations? I just need them for audio and not connecting them to the TV/ DVD.

cheers.

2. Joachim

Joachim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would search on the net for a good deal on a Linn Classik. It's a CD, Amp and Radio in one, I've seen them advertised for about £700-£800, but you might find one for £600, if you can't it's probably worth streaching your budget a bit as I rekon the Classik out performe sany seperate CD/Amp in it's price range or even above!!

3. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Amp: Arcam A65+ with Arcam CD62T cd player OR Amp: Rotel RA02 with Rotel CD02 (I think!) cd player. Both setups will sound fantastic with your Kef's.

4. pilot

pilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the advice guys.

I hadnt thought of the Linn. Always thought it out of my budget, but will investigate.

What about the NAD C350 amp and the NAD C521i cd player. anyone had any experiences with these?

5. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The NAD stuff sounds great, better than Arcam (in my opinion). Also, try the Marantz PM6010KI/CD6000KI combo. £50 over budget but well worth it- great duo.

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you can get the classik within your budget, it is a fantastic bargain, but is a very cultured sound that you shouldnt buy unless you have heard it. At the other end of the spectrum is the marantz stuff suggested, it is a bit bright and harsh but is an exciting listen, then the arcam would probably be my choice, it sits in the middle and is a rollercoaster when you want but can easily play away in the back ground on less active material.

ad

7. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Until recently i owned a C350.Very difficult to fault for the price.Negotiate hard with your local RS and you should secure a new one for a shade under £200. :)

8. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Arcam Alpha 7SE CD @£249.99
    Arcam Alpha 8R Amplifier @£229.99
    Both @ Richer Sounds.