1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice for a newbie to dvd players please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Tam Magnus, Sep 2, 2002.

1. Tam Magnus

Tam Magnus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm lookibg to buy my first dvd player and would welcome advice on what to go for with a ceiling of £200. It would seem that Progressive Scan dvd playback is the way to go(?) I had a trawl round the net and saw that Sony had brought out in the States the DVP-NS715P for around $200 (£130) and Panasonic had the RP62K for a similar price. The reviews raved about the picture quality and I thought I'd go for one of them but havent seen them advertised in the UK. My TV is a Sony kv28fs20u 28" wide screen and I wanted a reasonable quality multiregion dvd player that played every format to go with it. (If the TV can handle progressive scan) Any advise would be welcome and where to get the best deal. It's sod's law that, on my own, I'd pick the one that everybody else in the know avoids.
    Tks.

2. RichGC

RichGC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm most people here would recommend a Toshiba 220E for you budget, and it is a damn fine machine, Just make sure if you get one it has a minumu of firmwire 1.4 although 1.5 is more preferable.
    I myelf have been deciding on what player to get and although im considering the Toshiba the Pioneer DV-350 has got me very interested after getting rave reviews and What Video and TV giveing it 4.5/5, Best buy and best DVD player for £160 and under (and the Toshiba is included in that price range).
    Although Sony are great makers of DVD players I wouldn't say they are the best. Toshiba and Pioneer seem to fit in there when it comes to entry level (which anything under £250 is considered).
    Just stay clear of Hitachi :mad: damn thing caused me nothing but problems...

3. Tam Magnus

Tam Magnus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0