Advice for a newbie please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by rami, Nov 9, 2004.

1. rami

rami
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

Im new to all this and not exactly a technical wizard!!!! but im looking to buy a dvd recorder, i will also be getting sky +, am i correct in thinking that theres no need to pay the extra for a recorder with built in hard drive as ive got sky plus to do that. Any advice on which machine to go for would be much appreciated but major use would probably be to transfer old video footage from vhs and would also like to be able to put chapters and menus in (can this be done on recorder or does it have to be done via a package on pc?) As you can see from the questions im a newbie just loking for a bit of advice. Many thanks in advance.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    No. Most of us here have Sky+ and a HDD/DVDR combo as the two machines perform very different functions.

Sky+ is a timeshifter. It's ideal for watch and wipe as it has the easy to use menu system and offers lossless recording. However it has no editting or archiving ability.

HDD/DVDRs on the other hand are edit decks. They allow you to record onto the HDD, edit/rearrange as required and then burn to universally compatible DVD-R. If you use a non-HDD DVD recorder to do this you could either edit or make compatible disks - you could not do both. Also a HDD allows you to record in the highest possible bitrate before you edit so you do not waste any space on the DVD-R itself.

As for the machine to go for: well it depends upon your requirements but the Toshiba RDXS32 and Panasonic range (E85/E95/E500) are very popular here for good reason.

3. rami

rami
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the reply Rasczak much appreciated, a couple more questions pressumably with the hdd recorder you can put chapters and menus in on the machine or does this need to be done on a pc?, secondly if you use a dvd-r disc in the recorder can you keep adding to it until its full ( i pressume it has to be finalised to be used in any other machine - but can u watch what you have recorded so far in the recorder and still add to same disc later) and finally as i mentioned ive got a few videos that i want to transfer to disc and add chapters and menus, if i got the E75v wich is a recorder and video could i just use that one machine ie play the videos on the video and record to disc or would i need to use a different video player and link it to recorder? sorry if these are questions that most people know the answer to but hey we all got to start somewhere!! (my god if im having this much trouble deciding which machine to get im already dredding the setting up and knowing howto link them all together!!!)

Again many thanks for your help

4. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are correct in all your assumptions. The only thing worth mentioning is that the "menus" are predefined, you can't put your own graphics/fonts etc. on them.

One of the main uses of the E75 is for transferring archive tapes to DVD.

5. rami

rami
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the reply tabatha, where in the midlands are you im near dudley so when i get all confused cabling everything together you can pop round and give me a hand!!!

So which do you think would be best for me the E75 so i dont have to set another video up with it, or the 85 0r 100 with the built in hard drive??

6. Baj

Baj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMO the E75 is a poor choice.
    One scart lead from an E85 to your VCR (you must have one) creates the equivalent of an E75. When you have archived all your tapes, an E75 could only be used as a DVD recorder. With an E85 you have HDD facilities as well as DVD.

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    To be fair the E75 does have some benefits, e.g. easy dubbing, internal stabiliser and twin tuners (analogue), but I have to agree and say go for seperates - preferrably one with a HDD such as the Panasonic E85.

8. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too would go for the E85 as you already have a VHS deck and you can stop using it as soon as you have copied your tapes to DVD. You will then be hooked on HD recording and you will be able to choose whether you record to your Sky+ Box or the Panny. With the Panny, you will be able to make high speed backups to DVD-RAM or DVD-R after editing/trimming - something you can't do with the Sky+ kit.

9. rami

rami
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks for the replies, so looks like the E85 is the way to go, so any ideas best place to get one from and how much should i be looking to pay, can this be purchased multi region or will i have to get that done

many thanks

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,267
    Others can advise on the cheapest place to buy - but most online retailers will sell a multi-region version. If you want MR ensure you get one pre-modified before you buy!