1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice for a newbie DSLR user

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by jools230575, Apr 24, 2005.

1. jools230575

jools230575

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

I am new to this forum and I was wondering if people could offer advice in my change over to DSLR.

As of right now I own a Fujifilm A310 compact camera. At 3MP it is OK and has lasted me a good 18 months or so.

Just recently I have started making journies over to the continent for the specific purpose of photographing the wonderful city of Paris.

The Fuji has come up with some good photos and especially some good night shots that I am proud. Thing is I want a little more flexibility in what a camera can do.

I have opted to go for the Canon EOS350D as I believe for me this camera would be a good option.

How much difference will I notice? Am I going to find it a harder camera to use? One thing that I would is to get some good long exposure shots at night with my new camera. With the Fuji I haven't had much to dial in. Will I have a lot more to go through and setup with the Canon?

Also, recently, I have discovered the wonders of closeup photography. I have a budget of up to about £150 for a macro lens. Is this sufficient? Do I have to save a little more?

Thanks for any help and all advice!

:D

Jools

2. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Firstly, what is it about the Canon that makes it for you. Have you handled it, have you handled competitors. It's a superb camera but make sure you've explored the options.

Are you likely to rely mainly on the kit lens, or spend more on others (other than the macro you mention? If the former then be aware the 18-55 supplied with the 350D kit is very average.

For macro work £150 is likely to be too little. The cheapest Canon macro is around £400 (and it is worth it), but also consider the superb Tamron 90mm Di, and the also superb Sigma 105mm.

You will also need a tripod, a bag, memory and various other wallet-draining bits and bobs. 'Tis a slippery slope indeed....

3. T0MAT01

T0MAT01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +566
    I've recently changed from using a Fuji 6800 to the Canon 350D and am well chuffed with it.

I know some people think it's a bit small for their hands, so it might be worth testing it before you buy, but I find its just right and it's also unobtrusive to use and carry around.

The Canon has loads of features which are easilly accessible (far easier than my old Fuji), but it's worthwhile getting a good Digital Photography book to guide you through features you might never have heard of before, things like custom white balance etc.

As for your lens budget, sorry but you could probably double it.

HTH

4. jools230575

jools230575

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well. Yep. I have handled it. Believe I spent many many hours reading reviews, etc weighting up the pros and cons in my own head. Finally went to the store and held it and the Nikon D70.

I liked the overall feel and weight of the camera, but that's me.

As for the lens. In the short term, yes, I will rely on it as I have just drained my wallet, but still, the future looks good :)

Lenses. How do I know what lens will fit the Canon? I know it is EF/ EFS but when I say do a search on Jessops for lenses all I can see with EF is Canon. Am I missing something/ being totally thick!!

All the bits and bobs that I need such as memory card, bag, cards etc I am sorted out on.

As for lens budget I had this strange feeling that my budget may be a bit on the slim side :suicide:

Radiohead, you mentioned 400 quid. This is for Canon. How do other manufacturers come in????

Thanks for the replies so far :D

Jools

5. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    Sorry - forgot that bit. The Tamron is about £280 online, and the Sigma £260.

If you're happy with the 350D then go for it. You won't look back.

6. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,479
    At the risk of muddying the waters, if you haven't actually bought the Canon yet it may be worth a good hard look at the Fuji S7000. It will give you all the manual control you require together with a pretty good macro facility for around £300 all in. They are currently in demand used so hold their value reasonably well.

You could use this as a stepping stone to both increase your knowledge & find out just how much use you would actually make of macro before shelling out on a DSLR. If you buy CF cards then they could be used in a 350D at a later date.

EF/EFS is Canon's branding for their lenses. Jessops use "Canon AF" when referring to lenses from 3rd parties that are compatible the EF. Be aware that true macro is the ability of a lens to produce a life size (1:1 ratio) image on a 35mm negative. Many lenses that are sold as macro (especially zooms) can't actually achieve this.

7. jools230575

jools230575

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey crocodile. you're not muddying the waters for me:)

I had looked at the Fuji from the point of, I have a Fuji that takes XD cards same as the S7000 but have decided to go for an SLR instead.

One last question if I may.

I LOVE taking nights shots. Now, I know this is likely to cause many many answers but is there a nice reasonably priced lens out there that is better quality than the kit lens that will serve me well and pick up all detail etc in the shot.

I did see on a review site a pic that someone had taken of the San Francisco skyline at night with the kit lens and then with the EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6. The difference was unbelievable! But then the lens is a snip at around 500 quid :eek:

Any suggestions?????

Thanks again :D

8. RobertP

RobertP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 20D which I bought with the kit lens. I read lots of reviews saying how bad the kit lens was. I bought it with the idea of replacing it at leisure then selling it on via ebay.

I have to say the kit lens is not that bad. It will take pretty good photos and combined with the 350D having the same low noise for high iso as the 20D can produce great night shots.

There is a thread here with a link to pictures I took on a long weekend in Prague. About halfway through the pictures I put up are 2 shots from the hotel window - one day and one night. Both were with the kit lens.

There is also a cheaper if not very elegant solution to super macro shots. I bought a reversing adaptor off an ebay seller together with spacer tubes for about £35. Coupled with and old 50mm manual lens held by its front filter threads (so it is used backwards) very high magnifications are possible.

A crop of a 5p piece shot is attached.

Attached Files:

9. T0MAT01

T0MAT01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +566
    I've taken a couple of shots of a tennis match played just before dusk with the kit lens, so I set the 350D shutter priority and to over expose them and they've come out un-blurred looking like they were taken in normal daylight!

Thats not to say you wouldn't get better results with a £500 jobbie though, but check it out for yourself first. I expect Image Stabilization would be a big bonus when using slow shutter speeds.

10. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Hi, and welcome to the forum. I have a 350D and find it very good, if your looking for a macro lens have a look at the new EF-S 60. You can buy it here for £299 or ask jessops to price match it, which is what I suggest you do with the camera as well. http://www.bestcameras.co.uk/cgi-bi...Macro_1208.html#acanefs60macro#acanefs60macro

When you have a little more cash I can recommend the EF 28-135 IS as a very good walk about lens, but by all means try it for yourself before you buy.

ASH1

11. jools230575

jools230575

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as an addendum to my last question on lenses.

How in the heck do you know if what you're buying is a good lens?

Is that a daft question?

I notice 2 Canon 28 - 105's on Jessops site. What is the difference?

Sorry for all the questions. I just to get things right and make one BIG expensive mistake!!! :suicide:

12. RobertP

RobertP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are lots of review sites for lenses.

Canon zoom lens reviews

another one

Fred Miranda

Are just a few I looked at. I took weeks to understand then decide. Some take months (seany? :) )

I have not looked at the Jessops site so it may be the lenses you mention have a difference that is not obvious. If you don't see the difference because you are new to SLR photography (film or digital) I would suggest a book explaining the basics would be the best first investment.

As to expensive mistakes - if you check ebay you will see most second hand lenses sell for near new prices. So if you buy one that you don't like you stand a good chance of getting most of your money back.

13. jools230575

jools230575

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey RobertP!

Excellent stuff :D

That helps immensely!!!!!!!