Advice for a music capable home cinema

Kooli

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. First time poster, hopefully you guys will be able to help me.

I am currently building my first home and I would like my speaker setup in my main lounge to be spot on. Movies and music are both a big part of my life so I am after a speaker setup that can handle my needs. I require something that can handle deep shaking bass for my electronic music at parties, but also capable to handle high quality bluray.

I would also like options with some reasoning if possible for the options of monitors, soundbar and surround sound.

Ive seen some sony and LG 5.1 systems that are 1000w+ but I have been informed that they wont meet my needs on the music front. Also Ive considered KRK rokit with sub but again have been informed that this wont meet my req on film. All thats to say is I have a budget of £500-600.

Thank you very much for your advice kind people.

Do you need an av receiver as well? Or is it just speakers and sub? What are the dimensions of the room? Do you mind buying used gear for more "bang for buck"?

Your budget and requirements are not really aligned to be honest. Ignore the all in one systems as they have poor connectivity, poor sound quality and harder to replace/upgrade in future. With your budget I would look to get something like the Yamaha 677 and then a pair of front speakers, either large standmount or floorstanders. Then get the other speakers as funds allow. You may even be able to squeeze a pair of surrounds into your budget. That would leave a sub and centre to get.

Agree with PSM and would go further and say a two channel 'party' system alone will easily eat up your budget.

Room and room layout will dictate loudspeaker choice and positioning.

As KaPa says going SH may be your best option.

For kit that can take the punishment at parties look at Prosumer brands such as Behringer.

Joe

Do you need an av receiver as well? Or is it just speakers and sub? What are the dimensions of the room? Do you mind buying used gear for more "bang for buck"?

Hi, av receiver could be useful but Ill only be using a few things. PS4 for gaming and blurays, tv for netflix, sky hd, and finally my laptop via hdmi for downloaded stuff. Would a require a receiver here or will an amp unit manage all these? I dont mind used stuff as long as any feasable options are on things that arent too hard to get. (I.e. suggesting some speakers that are cheap but only come up once a year isnt good).

The room is open plan kitchen and dining room however the main sitting area is 4.5m by 6.2m.

PSM1 and Joe

Thanks for this suggestion, it is of course feasable to build my system up as time goes on. Only thing is that once the house is done that music will be required at parties so movie watching together with rear speakers could take a back foot as long as the rest of the system allows the upgrabeability.

Thanks again

Also guys any equipment should be able to handle 4k video where appropriate

If you want it to handle 4k then you are going to be looking at the current AVRs so secondhand is not going to be an option. This will mean even more of your budget is going to be eaten up by the AVR since you will not be able to get last years heavily discounted ones. You will also need an AVR with the items you want to connect to it.
Always hard to tell what you mean by loud at parties but often when people say this it means silly levels which an AVR at the level you are looking at is not going to handle very well. Make sure you leave lots of ventilation around the AVR (probably at least 10-20cm above and quite a bit to the sides with open front and back) otherwise you could damage it. Depending on what your parties are like I can see an AVR being killed off fairly quickly. You may be better getting a budget stereo PA system for your parties and leave the AVR for movies.

If you want it to handle 4k then you are going to be looking at the current AVRs so secondhand is not going to be an option. This will mean even more of your budget is going to be eaten up by the AVR since you will not be able to get last years heavily discounted ones. You will also need an AVR with the items you want to connect to it.
Always hard to tell what you mean by loud at parties but often when people say this it means silly levels which an AVR at the level you are looking at is not going to handle very well. Make sure you leave lots of ventilation around the AVR (probably at least 10-20cm above and quite a bit to the sides with open front and back) otherwise you could damage it. Depending on what your parties are like I can see an AVR being killed off fairly quickly. You may be better getting a budget stereo PA system for your parties and leave the AVR for movies.

Ive managed to push up my budget a bit if we can delay certain parts. I could prob squeeze the whole system somewhere around 700 to 800. Ive had a look about off some other advice. Ive found a tannoy ts2.12 sub on ebay for £200 which is 500w which im guessing is enough. Also a set of kef surrounds can be got for 100 to 200. Together with an adequate receiver amp id imagine itll handle well but id need advice on this. Party music wont be stupidly loud however i want to keep decent punchy bass at theae levels. PA system would be ott id imagine as id also want to losten to loud music when i can so id rather have a system that can manage all.

How about making the tea :)

Once you find this fabled system buy a job lot, quadruple the price and place an Add here on AVF!

You need to be realistic about what you are asking for.

Joe

You really want the speakers to be the same make and model all the way around. The only exception would be the sub.

You really want the speakers to be the same make and model all the way around. The only exception would be the sub.
Oh right, I thought it was common for people who cared to go for the best of each component regardless of make.

With speakers you want a common 'sound' and 'radiation' pattern across all cabinets - esp the Front LCR if you go multi-channel.

The requirements of a small relatively low budget Surround Sound system is quite different to those of a high SPL system to be used for party music.

UHD '4K' raises a few additional questions/requirements - what you require for a streaming service can be different to what you will require for UHD Blu-ray.

Info on your room, how many folk you are looking to cater for in party mode etc are required.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom