Advice for a Mac Newcomer

Jamie

Distinguished Member
I've just bought my first Mac and I'm looking for some advice.

It's a none retina late 2012 15" i7 Macbook Pro which while pretty old should still be a reasonable machine for my use.

Its already been upgraded to 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD.

I fully intend to embrace Mac OS however I am going to take the opportunity to also install Windows 10 so I still have the choice, I may as well do a fresh install of MacOS while I'm at it.

I believe my mac will support Catalina although its currently running Mojave, I presume my best option would be a fresh install of the latest available or is possibly does Mojave support the older macs better?

Creating a bootable USB installer looks easy enough. If I was setting up a PC for multi OS Id most likely create all the various partitions before installing any operating systems, should I do that here or should I simply install MacOS and then let bootcamp assistant do its stuff later?

Thanks in advance for any advice, I'm sure I'll get used to it soon enough

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
Your Mac will update as far as the hardware is able, so just let it do its thing and upgrade, I cant hep with bootcamp sorry

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
PS do buy a suitable hard drive and link to time machine this will run along in th background and ensure you are always backed up (assuming you dont back up to the cloud, I keep everything backed up where I know it is personally and dont rely on the internet and wifi for this)

Dexy

I've just bought my first Mac and I'm looking for some advice.

It's a none retina late 2012 15" i7 Macbook Pro which while pretty old should still be a reasonable machine for my use.

Its already been upgraded to 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD.

I fully intend to embrace Mac OS however I am going to take the opportunity to also install Windows 10 so I still have the choice, I may as well do a fresh install of MacOS while I'm at it.

I believe my mac will support Catalina although its currently running Mojave, I presume my best option would be a fresh install of the latest available or is possibly does Mojave support the older macs better?

Creating a bootable USB installer looks easy enough. If I was setting up a PC for multi OS Id most likely create all the various partitions before installing any operating systems, should I do that here or should I simply install MacOS and then let bootcamp assistant do its stuff later?

Thanks in advance for any advice, I'm sure I'll get used to it soon enough

I am on a mid 2014 MacBook Pro and late 2015 Imac 27" 5k on the MacBook Pro I upgraded to Catalina, did the same on the iMac but then went to Big Sur on the iMac, ive gone back to Mojave as I find its the best Mac OS ive used and prefer that I'm not forced to using 64bit programs.

When I used bootcamp on my laptop I didn't have to create any bootable drives, I just ran through bootcamp and then downloaded the windows 10 iso file directly from Microsoft and it went smooth as anything, on my iMac I did have to create a bootable USB but it is very easy to do as long as you have a USB large enough.

If you run bootcamp it will ask you how large you want the partition to be, you can use a slider and decide how much to use, I only used 100GB on each computer as I only had 256GB ssd space, Ive just finished upgrading both SSDs now and have 2tb and 1tb respectively. I also don't use windows much, but it is nice to have it so I didn't want to use a lot of space on the drives.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
My new Mac arrived today. I've easily managed to do a fresh install (Just a thing I like to do on second hand devices)

I've stuck with Mojave for the moment, think I'll leave setting up bootcamp for a bit longer. My old windows laptop seems to have started behaving itself and so far I'm loving MacOS anyway.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Everything is now setup just the way I want, it was all dead easy so I've got both Mac and Win10 available.

One question though, since using my HP Spectre (very similar to a surface pro) with a decent touchpad I've become quite a fan.

I immediately took to the Mac touchpad but it wasn't until I used my HP this afternoon I noticed the scrolling is in the opposite direction, I'd not even noticed until I switched back to Windows and it felt wrong. very weird.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
I'd found that option, although if anything I'm not sure which I'd actually change.

The main thing that struck me is not even noticing when I started using my Mac, it was only going back to Windows I noticed the difference and kept trying to scroll the wrong way. It must be musscle memory from using touchscreen phones for so long.

Dexy

In system preferences it should be under trackpad, scroll and zoom, and scroll direction, just check that or uncheck it to change it round.

iamsludge

I would advise sticking with Mojave on a machine this old If you can. Catalina is noticeably slower on my 2014 iMac so am not going to update my 2014 MBP to Catalina.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Too late as I've already upgraded to Catalina with no issues. How much memory does your iMac have, maybe 16GB makes the difference.

calvind123

Having an SSD makes a big difference to how will Catalina will run. Catalina forces the file system to change to APFS which doesn't work well with mechanical hard drives, particularly if FileVault is enabled

If the iMac doesn't have a Fusion Drive or hasn't been upgraded to an SSD then I would say this is likely the reason it runs slowly.

A 2014 MBP will have an SSD so should perform significantly better.

If you have a 3rd party SSD installed it's worth looking into enabling trim on it as well, I believe it doesn't get enabled by default in macOS.

You can enable it in Terminal using the command "sudo trimforce enable". I think there are certain SSDs that don't (or didn't) play well with it though so worth checking if yours is OK with it first. But enabling it should help improve the life of your SSD.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
I wanted to be 100% sure it was correct from the start which is why I did a fresh install of everything.

I didn't install the SSD myself but it's a decent Crucial 3rd party SSD (1TB MX500) and yes I did enable Trim as part of the process. I'd have probably chosen the Crucial SSD myself if I was doing the upgrade so I considered it a bonus the previous owner fitted a decent SSD.

CamFire

Distinguished Member
The "change" in direction for scrolling using trackpad (and "touch" in general) has to do with a more intuitive user interface when treating the entire page as a "scrollbar". Contrast that with having to move a dedicated scrollbar on the side of each window. My office mates do get amused by this but really they don't question themselves on touch phones, etc.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: REL T/9x Subwoofer + Bowers & Wilkins PI7 Reviews, AV Shows in a Pandemic and more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom