Advice for a friend please!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by tee, Oct 1, 2002.

1. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    OK I'm putting this request in a couple of diferent sections to cover all bases!

Basically my friend is after the following and has a budget of £2000......

DVD player
    TV
    Speaker package
    Amp/receiver

Now I've only really got as far as the amp/receiver option and was thinking along the lines on a Denon 1802 or 2802.

If anyone could give some options or input into this I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance :)

2. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On that budget I'd look at amps slightly cheaper, remember you've got a 28" widescreen, decent DVD source and perhaps most importantly speakers to buy as well.

If it has to be a 6.1 amp you've got Pioneer's 811(£330), Sony's 1080 (£350) or a Marantz 5200 (£340ish) also you could look out for last year's models (some of the big manufacturers seem to have introduced a new line up recently).

to spend the rest of the £2000 (say £1650 left) i'd go for a Sony KV28LS35s TV (£500, just got one myself and I love it), a good DVD player like the brand new Pioneer 656, amazing machine (£330, but Eric is launching a power buy) and that leaves £850 for the speakers, at that price you could go for the tried and tested Kef Eggs (heard them today and not a huge fan) and get some change or be a bit more exotic with the JMlab/Focal Sib and Cub sat/sub set-up (£850), heard some very good things about these and was looking at getting them before the Gallos took over my life!

Hope that helps.

3. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Thanks for the options mate.

The set-up is actually for my sister in law's sister and I don't think she'll be too bothered about getting the most features and connections etc...

I was asked if I could find out what she could/should get for the money..... I have Denon 3802 and would definitely recommend a 2802 for her and maybe a bigger TV (I was thinking a Sony 32"). What do you reckon to those options? Maybe a the Mission Six Pack or do you think they're a little on the cheap size for this set-up/budget?

Thanks again - any more comments?

4. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the missions are £400ish aren't they... that would certainly allow you to go for a Sony 32" at anything up to £950. You're on your own picking a TV though... it took me months of searching through the CRT TV forum to find a set without problems... tread carefully.

2802 with the missions should certainly sound impressive... I loved my first set of Missions... until I heard speakers that made them sound as though they had been wrapped in cotton wool. Bloody Eric's fault.:D

Would certainly recommend the 656 though, cracking DVD player.

5. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    From forum rules,

6. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    James's advice is spot-on. For (careful now Nobber) people who are less critical about sound vs picture like sister's in law (;) ) spend more of your budget on what they see (32'' & good DVD) and less on amp and speakers. Unless you are gonna spend lots of time tweaking speakers for them and she probably does have WAF issues, then a big telly is gonna impress her most. Which model? I give up.....sorry.

In my experience, MOST (see, I am not being a full-on sexist) women look to the picture before the sound.......(Nobber runs and hides somewhere dark:blush: ), but I still stand by what I say:cool:

7. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Thanks for the replies :)

That is my point entirely - someone like my sister in law's sister will be more bothered about the TV picture quality and DVD than the speakers and amp/receiver. As long as I make sure she's getting good equipment in those areas and deliver a nice looking 32" Sony TV, I think we'll all be happy.

At the moment, something like the following is looking good:

Sony 32" (not sure which yet, but I have a 32PWFX20S and love it)
    Pioneer 656
    Mission Six-Pack
    Denon 2802

Does anyone have any more to add on my choices or any alternatives??

Thanks again

lynx - sorry mate I didn't realise

8. joust

joust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Hi M8,

Look out for the 100hz Sony WEGA's KV32FX65 or 66 (better picture quality than the 50hz sets, and these sets don't have any Dolby Pro-logic or DD built in so not paying extra for it). Should be able to pick up last years models for under a grand with stand (about 900-950), and a further 150 less without stand.

Joust

9. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Cheers for that Joust, that''' probably be just what I'll recommend :)