1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice for a beginner

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by intergoal, Jun 1, 2005.

1. intergoal

intergoal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone, I am a first timer here and would appreciate some advice on setting up my first home cinema.

I have a budget of £2,000 and have to start from scratch, the room size is quite small, about 12 feet square.

My basic requirement is for a decent quality display (bearing in mind the room size I guessed about 26in max possibly smaller), I have Sky+ and need a dvd player, possibly with a tuner and the ability to connect xbox.

My major problem is cabling, I have a door at one end of the room and a patio door at the other and I cannot run cable across the room (I assume wireless rear speakers).

Hope I can get some good advice from you guys who have done all of this before it would be very much appreciated.

2. Jamiroquai78

Jamiroquai78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I take it reading your thread you have no build work to be done it is purely AV equipment you require? If so a couple of K will get you a nice little set up.

Maybe consider an all in one system for a grand and spend the other half on your screen.

IMHO Go to someone like Sevenoaks HI Fi and audition some kit! Those guys seem to love what they do and have always been helpful to me even when i'm not spending. And no I don't work there :D

I think 26inch screen for a 12 foot room is too small unless you only sit a few feet away only IMHO of course.

My HC is 12 foot long and my screen is 6 foot :devil: but we do sit 10 foot from the screen.

Can you not run the wires under the skirting/carpet?

Jam

3. intergoal

intergoal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the response Jam. My main problem is to keep the aperatus in a confined area in one corner of the room (domestic issues lol). I live in France so Sevenoaks is out unfortunately but we are not short of choice and that is what is bewildering me. Running cable is not an option, we have stone floors in the room and no skirting, we will be viewing the screen from only about 6 to 8 feet away so I am fairly comfortable with the 26/27in option. From what I have seen so far I have taken a liking to screens with a black surround they seem better suited to my aging eyesight, Samsung have a model with 16:9 screen for what seemed a pretty fair price and they also have a pretty cheap amplifier/DVD player with wireless rear speakers, I know the name but know nothing about where they are in the pecking order as regards quality.